The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: '00 Dehlinger Octogan PN

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

WTN: '00 Dehlinger Octogan PN

by wrcstl » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:36 am

Dehlinger is one of two mailing lists I remain on and always question myself. The wines are huge, not my style, but like the spice and figure I need a wine for the occasional outdoor BBQ. Had their estate '04 PN two weeks ago and was dissapointed in the heat from alcohol and agressiveness of the wine. Tom Dehlinger is a good guy and claims his PN is best drank after 5 years and the single vineyard stuff after about 8. I should pay more attention to his remarks.

The '00 Octogan PN had lost the alcoholic heat, smoothed out and the lovely asian spices, which is why I buy the wine, were beautifully integrated. This wine was just entering its drinking window and would last for quite a few more years. Everyone at the table loved this wine. Granted it was still a big wine but a very nice drink. I am going to continue to buy this wine but just not touch them for at least 5 years.

Walt
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: '00 Dehlinger Octogan PN

by Jenise » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:18 pm

Walt, maybe someone else produces a wine that has the Asian spice you like without parts you don't. Have you looked at St. Innocent, or Domaine Serene from Oregon? Your palate and mine are pretty close, and though I like Dehlinger I like the two I just mentioned much more. And you won't see big alcohol on either of them.
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:26 pm

As I begin to buy these, I will keep this advice firmly in mind!!.. Thanx for the note.
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:48 pm

Jenise wrote:Walt, maybe someone else produces a wine that has the Asian spice you like without parts you don't. Have you looked at St. Innocent, or Domaine Serene from Oregon? Your palate and mine are pretty close, and though I like Dehlinger I like the two I just mentioned much more. And you won't see big alcohol on either of them.

It is not that I do not like Dehlinger, it is just that you need to be patient. I am also a fan of Oregon PNs as they are much more Burgundian but nothing has spice like the Russian River. This was intended to be a very positive TN, just a warning to age them a little while, at least to my palate.
Walt