The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: Ruchè "Rosae" Giuseppe Rinaldi 2003

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Agostino Berti

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:47 pm

Winston-Salem, North Carolina

TN: Ruchè "Rosae" Giuseppe Rinaldi 2003

by Agostino Berti » Fri May 05, 2006 4:35 pm

Bought this a while back when I went to visit Giuseppe. A good guy who didn't get along with his father so he became a veterinarian until his dad died at which point he became a traditionalist winemaker. That's the gist I got. Anyway, it was fun when he asked me if I wanted to go inseminate a cow with him. Didn't know what he meant exactly at first. Then he grabbed the vials of bullsperm in dry ice and later I watched one of the world's greatest Barolo makers stick his ENTIRE arm up a cow's ass as he inseminated the cow with his other.

Keeping this picture in mind the Ruchè is good stuff.
Nowhere on the bottle do you find the word Ruchè so I guess its not a legitimate grape for that area. The wine is called Rosae and its labelled a Vino da Tavola.

Very herbaceous at first. This dies down a bit but essentially its Ruchè's trademark nose. Perfumey herbaceousness. Not everyone's cup of tea. Which I guess is why its a minor grape in Piemonte although I don't really know why.
Color is dark see-thru. It has good body. And the finish explodes right at the end with licorice and tannins.

One thing with Ruchè that I will understand only with time: Giuseppe says that his Ruchè ages well. While my friend Francesco Gatto who makes excellent Ruchè in Castagnole Monferrato which is considered the home of Ruchè and enjoys a D.O.C. says that its a wine to drink within 3 years.
So what's the truth?
Giuseppe says that his Ruchè is different because its grown on Barolo soil, therefore "Baroleggia."
I have both Ruchè's in my cellar and we will see.
This wonderful bottle of wine was bought at the source for 5 Euros.
Pleasant Imbibing
Agostino
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

Re: TN: Ruchè "Rosae" Giuseppe Rinaldi 2003

by Hoke » Fri May 05, 2006 4:41 pm

Agostino Berti wrote:Bought this a while back when I went to visit Giuseppe. A good guy who didn't get along with his father so he became a veterinarian until his dad died at which point he became a traditionalist winemaker. That's the gist I got. Anyway, it was fun when he asked me if I wanted to go inseminate a cow with him. Didn't know what he meant exactly at first. Then he grabbed the vials of bullsperm in dry ice and later I watched one of the world's greatest Barolo makers stick his ENTIRE arm up a cow's ass as he inseminated the cow with his other.

Agostino

:D It is obvious you never spent too much time on a farm in your youth, Agostino. I will admit the first time you see that, with a cow or horse, it is a humbling experience.

Great note, by the way. Love reading good descriptive notes on what seems an enchanting indigenous variety. Thanks.
no avatar
User

Agostino Berti

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:47 pm

Winston-Salem, North Carolina

by Agostino Berti » Fri May 05, 2006 4:56 pm

Thanks Hoke. Indeed I don't think my generation is as in touch with nature as it should be. Although I don't think you will find that many youths willing to be that "in touch".
By the way, Giuseppe insisted on not being paid for his insemination services, but the old farmer did insist on giving us some wonderful pancetta (unsmoked bacon) from a pig he had slaughtered himself along with some red peppers aged in "vinaccia" (grapeskins). I had the utter privilege of eating these rustic goodies with Giuseppe and his wife while drinking his '99 Barolo (in their beautiful home). And besides a couple of previous visits, I was basically a stranger.
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Sat May 06, 2006 12:08 pm

Excellent note, Agostino. I'm just beginning to appreciate ruche' and I truly love Rinaldi baroli so the Rosae sounds too good to pass up. I do love the freshness in young ruche' but I'd be intrigued to try it aged as well.