The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2002 Bründlmayer Grüner Veltliner Alte Reben

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: 2002 Bründlmayer Grüner Veltliner Alte Reben

by Saina » Fri May 05, 2006 5:36 pm

My Riesling loving friend was over again today. I thought he might like GV also - I was right, he loved this wine. This must be the first time in my life that I open a bottle of wine without food (we'd both eaten beforehand) - formal tastings excluded of course. This wine, if any, demanded food. Some alsatian style fish with onions, mushrooms and cream baked in the oven would, I imagine, be great. This seems to need lots of time though - seems more for the long haul than the Gobelsburg I recently had.

• 2002 Weingut Willi Bründlmayer Grüner Veltliner Alte Reben - Austria, Niederösterreich, Kamptal (5/5/2006)
    Hay coloured. The nose has hay also, lots of minerality and that typical GV earthiness/dirtyness to the fruit. The attack is limpid in its fruitiness but on the mid-palate the acidity and stunning minerality and overall intensity appear very quickly. The aftertaste follows in a logical and harmonious manner and has great length and intensity. Very good.

Posted from CellarTracker

I'm quite enthusiastic about this wine - and here I thought 2002 GV was hit by harvest time rains? Maybe B got lucky and missed them as this seems to have no hint of dilution.
no avatar
User

Michael Pronay

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon May 01, 2006 12:47 pm

Vienna, Austria

Re: WTN: 2002 Bründlmayer Grüner Veltliner Alte Reben

by Michael Pronay » Sat May 06, 2006 3:33 pm

2002 was the year of the great flood in August — just take a look at Hubert Fohringer's vinotheque at the banks of the Danube in Spitz: http://snipurl.com/q43y — but not of special rains during harvest.
Ceterum censeo corticem esse delendam
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Sun May 07, 2006 12:48 pm

Ah! Thanks for the clarification. I was just going on what I remembered from HJ's Pocket Wine Book. So was 2002 overall a fair success or which producers made good stuff?
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Michael Pronay

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon May 01, 2006 12:47 pm

Vienna, Austria

by Michael Pronay » Mon May 08, 2006 2:47 am

In short: 2002 was a good, although not exceptional year. As for success, the usual suspects did a very good job.
Ceterum censeo corticem esse delendam