The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Blind Tasting: A Lesson In Humility

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

Blind Tasting: A Lesson In Humility

by Gary Barlettano » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:54 am

Last night, our local wine merchant held a "brown bag tasting." He put out four whites and six reds well disguised in brown bags and asked us to identify the wines.

Oh, boy ....

Well, I got all four whites almost instaneously, but failed miserably on the reds, only getting one right!! 5 out of 10 was my total score.

There were about 50-60 folks doing the same and the best score of the night was 6 out of 10, but, geez, Louise, I really need to go back and get some practice!!
And now what?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Blind Tasting: A Lesson In Humility

by David M. Bueker » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:35 am

So what were the wines (and what were your guesses)?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:22 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:So what were the wines (and what were your guesses)?

You really want me to pay for my sins!!

I don't have them all because they collected the sheets and the answer key, but I do recall that the first four were Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Grigio, Chardonnay, and Viognier. The last two were real curve balls because they were both heavily oaked, but the floral nature of the Viognier gave it away.

Out of the six reds, I correctly identified the Pinot Noir. I'll need to spin by there today if I have time and see if I can recover my documentation.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:43 pm

You remind me that we did a blind guessing-game tasting for one of our neighborhood tastings wherein you had to guess not the grape, but which wine on the list was which. I missed two, reversing (understandably, I still insist) a lighter Sonoma cab and a heavily oaked Napa merlot. But what I remember most was this one twit who insisted loudly that she "won" because she claimed to have only gotten one wrong where a few of us got two and most did less well than that--all in even numbers, of course, since there were an even number of wines. "No, sweetie," I remember telling her, "there were an even number of wines (ten) so if you thought wine A was wine F, then you got wine F wrong, too. Two wrong." Nope, only one, she said. Argh.

But it can be humbling and I agree, it's harder among reds.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:41 pm

Jenise wrote:But it can be humbling and I agree, it's harder among reds.

From your mouth to Bacchus' ear! They didn't even let us know which wines were coming under consideration. They threw in a Charbono which threw everyone.

But all was not for naught. If you guessed three correctly, they gave you a coupon for 20% off your next purchase.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:59 pm

Every blind tasting I've ever tried has been an exercise in humility!
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Michael K

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:13 pm

Wellesley, MA, USA

by Michael K » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:30 am

I agree, pretty much every blind tasting is an exercise in humility. When I went for my first Sommelier seminar, of the 22 wines (at least I think there were 22), I only got 10 right....less than half.......... Some of the things that you take as markers, or so you thought were markers, are not that evident when blind.... :P still lots of fun.