The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Bachelor Party! Good wine and Spankings!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

WTN: Bachelor Party! Good wine and Spankings!

by JoePerry » Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:01 pm

Last weekend some of the boys kidnapped me for a bachelor party weekend filled with great wine and adventures. I didn’t take notes, but here are some impressions…

1990 Veuve Clicquot La Grande Dame: Very fine Champagne that is gracefully just starting to transition into maturity. Less primary than the last bottle I had three years ago.

1988 Louis Roederer Cristal Rose: My first time tasting a bottle of Cris (much less the Rose). I was a bit shocked by the sweetness in the palate, like a splash of FRV mixed in with a Billecart-Salmon Cuvee Elizabeth. Decadent and captivating.

1990 Bollinger GA: My favorite Grande Annee of all time. While the La Grande Dame has gracefully changed like an ornament spinning in the light, this Bollinger continues to express itself all over the spectrum as it ages. Rich and bold.

2002 Arnaud Ente Meursault (Magnum):
Feminine and easy to drink, this was excellent Chardonnay that wasn’t quite what I expected.

2002 Yves Boyer Martenot Meursault-Charmes: Sexy and full, this was perfect with our lunch of Lobster, mussels, oysters and chowdah.

2000 Mugnier Bonnes Mares: A bit of a letdown as compared to the 2000 Mugnier Musigny; this was a surprisingly sweet and resolved bottle. Enjoyable, and a hit with some of the non-wine geeks.

1988 G. Roumier Bonnes Mares: Robust tannin and a full palate.

1990 Leroy Chambertin: One of the most structured Burgundy I have tasted. This was still rigid, but amazing stuff.

1945 Berry Brothers and Rudd (Vosne Romanee? Chambertin?): I can’t remember which vineyard this was sourced from and there was no label in the bottle. Despite the humble negociant origins, this was a fresh and vibrant bottle. A touch of bacon fat and horse on the palate… excellent Syrah *wink*

1978 Giacosa Falletto (white label): Lovely. Lovely. Lovely. This Giacosa was singing at peak and tied with the Rayas for my WOTN. Silky tannin and even acidity carried the structure while rose petals and pomegranate wafted from the nose. Outstanding.

1978 Borgogno Riserva: More rustic than the Giacosa, this was still a great wine with bulkier tannin and a touch of iodine on the palate.

1985 R Lopez de Heredia Vina Tondonia Gran Reserva: It was a tough lineup, but despite the pedigree of the other wines, the Tondonia fared extremely well. Other than the Rayas, it was the most aromatic wine on the table.

1986 Cos d’Estournel: I’ve really found myself (surprisingly) enjoying Cos d’Estournel. It has a bit of funk and good terroir that give it a bit more personality than some of the more vanillin producers.

1990 Chateau Rayas Reserve: Tied with the Giacosa as my wine of the night. I have only tasted Rayas in off vintages and, while enjoyed in the past, had no idea this was the full potential of the wine. Damn near perfect wine with a finish that wouldn’t quit.

1990 Chateau Beaucastel: Tasting this next to the Rayas was a great chance to see two of the best CdP next to each other, and contrast the mostly-Mourvèdre composition with the Grenache. Truly great wine, though the Rayas had an added dimension.

1998 Janasse "Chaupin": Tannic and robust, this has held up better than many of the other 1998 CdP over the past few years.

1990 Guigal Cote-Rotie “La Mouline“: The big disappointment of the night. Still very oaky and not very expressive. I’m not sure what the attraction is?

2005 Herve Souhaut Sainte Epire: Mike served this blind to us and entertained himself by pretending to reveal what the wine was, then yelling “Psych!” afterwards. Thankfully, one of the managers of the campground came by and asked him to use his “inside voice”. I guessed it to be a St. Joseph that was good, if a bit in-your-face.

1999 Juge Cuvee "C" Cornas:
A touch outclassed by many of the wines, this was still an excellent bottle of Cornas and certainly was a bit nicer than the Guigal. Drinking very well right now, though five more years will only help things.

1993 Royal Tokaji Aszu Essencia: As always, a huge wine that redefines the idea of “sweet” wines. Viscous and rich, I could still taste it up through breakfast the next morning.

NV Osbourne AOS Amontillado: More interesting than enjoyable, this is a blockbuster Amontillado that beats up the palate (but in a good way).

Other highlights:

The dinner at Troquet Friday night was excellent. Chris was (as always) a serious but friendly host. The suckling pig is a must-eat.

White Water Rafting the Penobscot river (flipping the raft at one point).

Chauncey Creek Lobster Pound in Kittery is a great BYO in Southern Maine. The mussels and oysters are out of this world, and the lobsters are fresh.

I was ambushed at Platinum Plus in Portland and forced on to the stage where I was first graced with some lap dances, then spanked near death, then forced to dance. I think my polework was pretty good and I received two dollars stuffed down my pants.

*sigh*

Thank goodness this only happens once.

My sincere thanks to Joe Armano, Eric Sargent, Geremy Ayers, Mike Lawton, Trung Nguyen, Rey Fortney, PMAC, Josh Wertlieb and Tim Tanigawa. You guys are awesome.

Best,
Joe
Last edited by JoePerry on Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Bachelor Party! Good wine and Spankings!

by David M. Bueker » Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:38 pm

Sorry I couldn't make it Joe. I was on a plane to Turin (business). Looks like you made out well. See you at the wedding.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Boston

by JoePerry » Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:47 pm

Thanks, David. It's too bad more of the guys couldn't be there, but the really important day is still yet to come!

Best,
Joe
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:12 pm

can you please parse- is the "good" a shared adjective, or just for the wine?
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:42 am

Sounds like a great time, Joe. I'm sure sorry to have missed it.

I thought What happens in Portland, stays in Portland?
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:04 am

Bill Buitenhuys wrote:Sounds like a great time, Joe. I'm sure sorry to have missed it.

Joe was probably thinking that rule only applied in Oregon.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Boston

by JoePerry » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:13 am

Bill Buitenhuys wrote:Sounds like a great time, Joe. I'm sure sorry to have missed it.

Hey, Bill! I was looking around for you at first, then Jopl told me you were off on business. Sorry you missed it, but you were there in spirit if not person. :D

Best,
Joe
no avatar
User

AlexR

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:28 am

Bordeaux

by AlexR » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:26 am

Joe,

Sounds like a FABULOUS evening - and very well recounted too.

Thanks for sharing.

All the best,
Alex R.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:57 am

Chauncey Creek Lobster Pound in Kittery Point is one of our favorite haunts. It is not only BYOB but anything else you want besides lobsters and mussels and an occasional clam.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:08 pm

Carl Eppig wrote:Chauncey Creek Lobster Pound in Kittery Point is one of our favorite haunts. It is not only BYOB but anything else you want besides lobsters and mussels and an occasional clam.
My son and DIL are visiting my sister in York Beach at the moment, so I just called them to mention the Chauncey Creek Lobster Pound and my sister is already planning to take them there this week.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

John Fiola

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:57 pm

Boston, MA

by John Fiola » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:18 pm

Joe,
You're recollection of all those wines is unreal.
I'd only be able to recall one or two.

Sounds like a good time was had by all
Cheers,
John
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Boston

by JoePerry » Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:46 pm

Thanks, guys!

John, fortunately the wines were spread over two days and three meals, and it was such a memorable trip that I will remember for the rest of my life.

Best,
Joe
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:02 pm

Jeez! everywhere I look I see this post. The only thing I've seen more of lately is the damn AFLAC duck. Although thank God (or to whom it may concern, for UUs) there are no photos.
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Boston

by JoePerry » Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:17 pm

Lou, this Bachelor Party was like a peace mission going out to folks of all Internet fora.

As to pictures, well, I think the power of imagination is more effective in this case.

Best,
Joe
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:48 pm

Joe I am impressed with your powers of recollection. was there a cheat sheet? How do you remember all these wines and in a haze of other frivolity as well?

When is the wedding? Amy has only so much freedom left.

Good luck boss man!
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Boston

by JoePerry » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:53 pm

James, no cheat sheet. The thing is, once you move into these types of wines, they are far more unique than (say) a horizontal of $30 Bordeaux. The impression they make is hard to forget. Additionally, when you see a 1990 Rayas or 1978 Giacosa in front of you, it's hard to forget! :wink:

August 18th is the big day!

Best,
Joe
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:19 pm

I remain impressed. I couldn't do it and my memory hasn't quite gotten away from me.

Early felicitations on the day. August is a good month in which to marry. I celebrate number 27 on the 23rd. (And you missed my birthday by one day. I'll celebrate number 48 on the 19th.) Good luck to Amy. Cheers! :)