The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: de Courcel, Luneau-Papin,and yet another rave on ESJ rose

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: de Courcel, Luneau-Papin,and yet another rave on ESJ rose

by Dale Williams » Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:02 pm

Friday was a doozy of a day (suppressed the urge to kill a minister) , when I got home Betsy was taking a nap. I didn't feel like waiting to discover dinner plan, opened the 2006 Edmunds St. John "Bone
Jolly" Gamay Noir Rosé (Witters Vineyard, El Dorado County
). Dark for a rose, but oh so vibrant. Very pure and clean concentrated strawberry flavors, a hint of earth and flint, good length. Delicious! B+/A-

When Sleeping Beauty emerged, she told of her plan for a seafood salad. I grilled the squid while she prepared shrimp, scallops, and mussels, and I opted to open a white, the 2005 Luneau-Papin "Clos des Allees" Muscadet. Rounder and more fruit forward than some Muscadets, yet with a clear saline/limestone mineral finish. Lemony fruit is perfect for the seafood salad, lovely $12 wine that I'll find more of. B+

Saturday I sampled both again (stood up well), but with our grilled wild salmon (plus a red cabbage slaw, beans, and barley) I wanted Pinot Noir. I opened a 375 ml of the 1999 de Courcel "Fremiers" Pommard 1er Cru. Hmmm, a little seepage under capsule, and cork stained all the way up. Much more mature than a bottle a year or two ago. Warm round black cherry fruit, a meaty note, some flowers. Tannins in background. Nice enough mature Burgundy, but I'd bet (even in 375) a bottle with a better seal would have been a bit more fresh, if less ready. B

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency