The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Value ALERT! Evans & Tate Margaret River

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

WTN: Value ALERT! Evans & Tate Margaret River

by wnissen » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:13 am

2005 Evans & Tate Margaret River Classic - Australia, Western Australia, South West Australia, Margaret River (7/28/2007)
13.0%. 59% semillon, 41% sauvignon blanc. Screwcap. Some real burnt match smells at first, which with air mostly dissipate, though they're still present on day 2. Grassiness, chalk, concrete (in a good way), cumin, melon. Similar rockiness in mouth, plus high acid, seriously refreshing. Moderate finish. It always surprises me how stuff from the Margaret River area breaks my stereotype for Australian wine. Good+.

Posted from CellarTracker.

For the same price as a bottle of Two Buck Chuck (!), you can own this characterful, if overly sulphurous, drink. I can't wait to try the shiraz blend. Check your Grocery Outlet.

Walt
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Re: WTN: Value ALERT! Evans & Tate Margaret River

by Bob Henrick » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:01 am

Mr. Nissen, do you know who the importer of the Evans and Tate wines are? If it is available locally I would love to try this wine. I like the ageability of good semillon.and maybe a 59%41% blend might show a little of the aging ability. That is also one of the things about marsanne and roussane that make them favorites of mine. In particular, I am a fan of Ch. Tahbilk marsanne. Thanks for the note.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:09 pm

Dear Bob,

Sorry, I'm at work and don't have the bottle in front of me. I'll check tonight and let you know.

I think this could be a good candidate for aging, as it barely changed the second day. Those Aussie semillons have quite a reputation for longevity, though I have yet to taste an aged example.

Walt
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:43 pm

wnissen wrote:always surprises me how stuff from the Margaret River area breaks my stereotype for Australian wine.

Wallt,
Margaret River is a long way from South Australia where most of those 'stereotype' wines come from. I don't know how often I mistake Margaret River chardonnays for Gisborne, NZ (unless really thinking about it and detect the slightly hotter palate and pineapple notes). Also top Margaret River syrahs can be quite Rhonish and peppery while the cab sauv-dominant blends are pretty stellar too with a definite Bordeaux nuance. Can't really comment on the sem-sauv blanc blends (nor the 100% sauv blancs), as they don't really make it to my part of the world.
Usually the only problem with Margaret River wines are their prices but Evans & Tate has been in financial trouble for some time.
Cheers,
Sue
PS 1999 was a great year for reds in Margaret River.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:55 pm

Sue wrote: Evans & Tate has been in financial trouble for some time.

Sue, I hope the Evans and Tate winery are able to come out of their trouble. I would not like seeing any WA winery taken over by an even bigger company, can you say Penfolds(?) which I have sworn off of, unless Grange becomes available at $30 or less. :)
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:32 am

Bob Henrick wrote:Sue, I hope the Evans and Tate winery are able to come out of their trouble.

Bob, a news item just to hand that McWilliams have come to Evans and Tate's rescue.
Article link
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:52 am

Sue, do you see this as better than a scenario where a smaller entity would join with E&T or is this just a big guy gobbling up the little guy who became over extended and vulnerable? I don't think I have seen any of the Evans % Tate wines locally, but I haven't looked for them either. I know that wines from the Margret River ava is some of Australia's best wines, and I would hate to see happen to them what I have seen with some California wineries that have been bought up by large worldwide conglomerates. It seems to me that when this happens, the product line is expanded at the expense of lowering of quality in lines we have always thought of as good product. Beringer is one that comes to mind. I find that I no longer buy Beringer wines, at least not those that I could afford.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:40 am

2003 Evans & Tate Margaret River Classic - Australia, Western Australia, South West Australia, Margaret River (7/31/2007)
13.9%. 66% shiraz, 28% cabernet sauvignon, 6% merlot. I was so hopeful after the white, but this is merely decent inexpensive shiraz, not too jammy but not structured either. Value-wise, beats the heck out of Two Buck Chuck. Good.

OK, so you can't expect two home runs, the red "Margaret River Classic" is merely adequate.

Bob, the importer is Scott Street Portfolio, which is a Lafayette, CA based firm that until March of this year was owned by Evans and Tate. I don't have any information as to whether they have distribution in Kentucky.

Sue, my surprise every time I open a non-jam monster Australian wine is embarrassing, really. In my defense you might be surprised at how uniform the Aussie wine on the shelves here is, almost all cheap shiraz or chardonnay and from "South Eastern Australia." I've learned that anything from Victoria is probably worth a look at, but until now the Margaret River wasn't even on my radar.

Walt
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:49 am

Anyone tasted the Evans and Tate Chardonnay? I just received an email from a local retailer spouting about 90 points for $13.99, etc. I'm a little leery since the retailer noted a "touch of creamy oak" and he is way more oak tolerant than I am and in the past his "touches" have been been more like overpowering.
'Winger
Smile, it gives your face something to do!