The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: '05 Manciat Macon-Charnay

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: '05 Manciat Macon-Charnay

by Dale Williams » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:05 am

When Betsy got the lobster for Sunday's summer rolls contribution to the Riesling-fest, she got an extra bug. Went ahead and cooked it, saved for Monday. She made the Paccheri with Caprese Lobster featured in Sunday NYT mag
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/29/magaz ... ref=slogin

(free registration required).
She couldn't actually do pasta in lobster water, but it tasted fine. I felt like white Burgundy. A more or less free bottle of '91 Bourgogne was as anticipated shot, so we moved to what I thought was the Manciat old vines Macon-Charnay. Oops, no, I had grabbed the 2005 Manciat "Franclieu" Macon-Charnay. No oak, ripe round apple and quince fruit, big for Macon. Good acidity, though not as bracing as the 2004 version. Develops some flint and chalk aromas in glass, nice wine. I think I preferred '04, though this rounder wine was probably better with the dish. B+/B

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency