The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Champagne or sparkling wine question

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

Champagne or sparkling wine question

by Maria Samms » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:32 am

Hi All,

I had a question regarding Champagne or sparkling wine. I often see that both are made up of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir grapes...does this make them Rosé Champagnes/Sparkling Wines? Are they pink in colour?
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

Re: Champagne or sparkling wine question

by David Creighton » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:36 am

hi maria - NO is the short answer. blanc de noir for instance is 100% red skin grapes but is still white. mixed with chard is the same thing. the grapes up that far north don't get the same level of color they do further south - where it would be almost impossible to produce a blanc de noir. to make rose, you either macerate red skin grapes for a short period or blend red with with white. both methods are legal.
david creighton
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:40 am

Maria Samms wrote:Hi All,

I had a question regarding Champagne or sparkling wine. I often see that both are made up of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir grapes...does this make them Rosé Champagnes/Sparkling Wines? Are they pink in colour?

David got it in one, although I would add that <i>blanc de noirs</i> Champagne <i>may</i> show a richer, more golden color than Chardonnay-based bubbly. I love it myself, and generally can rank my Champagne favorites by the Pinot Noir presence in them. :)
no avatar
User

ClarkDGigHbr

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Gig Harbor, WA

by ClarkDGigHbr » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:29 pm

Maria, Always keep in mind the fact that the juice from these grapes is basically clear, regardless of whether they are white wine grapes or red wine grapes. The color comes from the skins. The darker the skins and the longer the skin contact (i.e., the maceration), the darker the resulting wine. -- Clark
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:57 am

ClarkDGigHbr wrote:Maria, Always keep in mind the fact that the juice from these grapes is basically clear, regardless of whether they are white wine grapes or red wine grapes. The color comes from the skins. The darker the skins and the longer the skin contact (i.e., the maceration), the darker the resulting wine. -- Clark

Thanks everyone...I completely forgot about this.
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin