The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

wtn: recent great and delish wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

wtn: recent great and delish wines

by David Creighton » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:14 pm

have had a few stunners lately i thought i'd share - well, by note anyway.

g de giraud 2006 - i had heard that the '06 white bordeaux were special but never did i imagine. better than '01 i think - though i have only had a few. this may be the best dry white bordeaux i've ever had - certainly at this age. a touch of new oak for sure but basically overpowered by complex fruit - all the usual suspect varieties. and the acid - wow - clean as a whistle. should have a long and distinguished history if i can keep my lips off it. aaaand a huge bargain at $15 or even less.

targovishte traminer 2006 - just delish! lovely and typical fruit - a bit more restrained than the best gewurtz; but more than enough charactger. nearly dry - .7 or less i would guess. this is from vinrom - maybe a coop? targovishte is the region. well under $10. slightly hokey bottle; but who cares.

13th street wine co. - ontario - cabernete franc rose 2006 - again, delish; but also great quality. suberb color and great flavor - no bell pepper at all. owner confirms that this was picked to be a rose - not a red wine. so, not saignee - which i now think is NOT the way to do rose. you pick red wine grapes at much different ripeness levels than you would rose. great balance. a really super rose - without all the alcohol as there is in the southern french stuff. dry.

bardolino chiaretto - 2006 forget the producer - a kermit lynch wine. this rose is also delish - thought quite different. dry, flavorful and colorful. this is what summer is all about.

bought a couple of bunches of glads at the market the other day; and both the above wines match them perfectly. you've heard of matching wine and the food on your table - ever matched wine and the flowers on your table?

hope some of you can find the above wines in your areas.
david creighton