The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2004 Antonio Caggiano Aglianico dell'Irpinia Tarì IGT Taurasi Italy.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

WTN: 2004 Antonio Caggiano Aglianico dell'Irpinia Tarì IGT Taurasi Italy.

by Bob Ross » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:21 am

WTN: 2004 Antonio Caggiano Aglianico dell'Irpinia Tarì IGT Taurasi Italy. 100% Aglianico; 13.5% alcohol. $9.00 a glass at Endless Vnes. Marc de Grazia Selections.

Intense ruby red color, medium hue, very good aroma of black fruits, chocolate, tobacco, a bit of early, restrained fruit and chocolate flavors, very light tannins, medium mouth feel, long finish with soft fruit and chocolate notes. [The distributor calls the wine "quite tannic", but they certainly weren't in this newly opened bottle.] A sipping wine, so delicate and lacking both tannin and acidity, but with great fruit, that I'm not sure it would go well with food, except perhaps pasta in a butter sauce or a mild cheese. EG 2 3*.

Notes:

Importer: http://www.marcdegrazia.com/ Antonio Caggiano is from an old rural family and started making wine as a hobby. He is now one of the most famous producers of Taurasi DOCG. A small museum on peasant tradition in this ancient land is located within the impressive cellars of the estate. 20 hectares of Aglianico are owned by the estate, Antonio Caggiano then contracts 1 hectare of Fiano and 1 hectare of Greco.

Winery website: http://www.cantinecaggiano.it/

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Nico Padilla

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:48 am

Tung Chung, Lantau

Re: WTN: 2004 Antonio Caggiano Aglianico dell'Irpinia Tarì IGT Taurasi Italy

by Nico Padilla » Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:50 pm

Interesting that the importer said the wine was quite tannic. Indeed, all the Campanian aglianico's I've tried were wines to drink after at least ten years in bottle, but the Tauri is an IGT and sees no new wood. Did the wine strike you as 'new world' in style?
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:07 pm

It was different from any Aglianico I've tried, Nico. A few years ago Luca Mazzoleni and I discussed Aglianico. His conclusion:

Excellent TN, Bob ! D'Angelo is by sure a very reliable producer, even if the best one, IMHO, is Paternoster, especially the Riserva "Don Anselmo". Smooth texture, firm acidity, lightly astringent tannin, ripe red cherry or spirited/cherry fruit, balsamic/earthy tertiary notes are typical, should always be typical aspects of well-made Aglianico. Anyway I'd never drink any young Aglianico ! Look for D'Angelo Ag.del Vult. Riserva "Canneto" '97.

It's hard for me to see how this wine would become more tannic over time, so I'm beginning to think Luca has a point, the same one you make -- drink them older.

I'd have to try a sample from another bottle to see if this was typical of the wine style, or just an unusual bottle. I'll do so and revert.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

Re: WTN: 2004 Antonio Caggiano Aglianico dell'Irpinia Tarì IGT Taurasi Italy.

by Florida Jim » Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:37 pm

Bob,
I recently had this same producer's 2001 Macchia dei Goti, Taurasi and it was a beautiful beast. Definitely tannic but remarkably concentrated and complex. A pup now and, I suspect, fabulous given time.
The wine you had sounds like the one to drink while waiting.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:05 pm

Thanks very much for the suggestion, Jim. I'll look for it.

Regards, Bob