The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Italian Biancos...(long/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Italian Biancos...(long/boring)

by TomHill » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:13 pm

We tasted the other night (7/18/07) Some Italian Whites:
1. Argicolas Costamolino DOC: Vermintino di Sardegna (13.5%) 2005: Light yellow color; rather
stony/earthy/minerally bit floral/peach aromatic nose; fairly rich peach/floral/gardenias
bit metallic rather hard/stony/minerally flavor; med.long peach/floral some stony/minerally
finish; quite a nice vermentino for the price. $12.50
burnt/oak slight metallic flavor; long rich/lush some metallic very ripe some floral/muscat
finish; a ton of charred oak w/ some pretty floral notes creeping out; bit pricey but
at kinda inrteresting. $35.00
flavor; quite long/lingering caramel/oak creamy/textured appley/floral finish; a Cahrd
wannabe and slammed w/ new oak; very international style. Too pricey at $35.00
dusty finish; a quiet/understated PG that should improve. Well priced at $17.00
very floral/spicy/white peach finish w/ touch of minerality; a beautiful fragrant/perfumed
white at a great price. $15.00
overripe rotted apple/piney slight oxidized flavor; very long overripe/rotted apple finish;
loads of overripe/rotted apple character; rather bizarre wine. $24.00
Kansas outhouse pungent/assertive flavor; long very cat pee/Kansas outhouse/pungent some
grapefruity finish; pretty intense wine, not altogether pleasant, but somewhat interesting
nonetheless. $17.00
very intense/complex resiny/mead/honeyed very perfumey flavor; very long honey comb/honeyed/
mead-like bit piney/resiny exotic finish; some like an Ygrec or Kalin Semillon; way out
there on the bizarre scale; overpriced at $100.00
muscatty/malvasia very floral/honeyed finish; plenty of malvasia character w/ a lot of
other exotic elements; another bizarity at a more reasonable price. $35.00
bitter finish; a big/intense very varietal GWT; maybe a bit too intense. $26.00
quite floral/perfumed finish; almost Mosel-like/slatey in character; quite a lovely wine
at a very good price. $16.00
stoney austere very spicy/GWT finish; some like a Trimbach in character; a lovely/spicy/
dry GWT at a very attractive price. $18.00
spicy/nutmeg some minerally flavor; very long/lingering very spicy/cinammon/nutmeg very
strong lychee/GWT bit minerally flavor; a lovely classic GWT that should go 10 yrs or more;
fairly priced at $28.00.
candied/overripe/late harvesty pineapply finish; a clumsy/overripe wine w/ no PG character.
Kevin's mystery wine.
make the world's greatest Nosiolas.
3. Salis Torre della Sirena: Made from Rossola and Pignola Valtellinese grape varieties, two
native red varieties. This was not exactly what I expected. It had that late harvesty
character of grapes left way long on the vine, sorta like fallen apples on the ground thru
the Winter under a covering of snow. Hard to believe it was only 12.5%. A rather strange
wine that I kinda liked once I dropped my preconcieved notions of what it was. Their WebSite
has some spectacular vnyd pics, but doesn't give a whole lot of detail about the wine.
Roberto??
find some sort of redeeming feature in any wine. I rather liked the wine (most of the
group did not) once I threw out all my pre-concieved notions of what a white wine should
be like. It had a sort-of oxidized character, not like sherry, but more like a mead.
To call the wine overpriced is also an understatement. But it is an experience worth
trying once in your life. Gravner, Kante, Radikon, and Randall are all a bit of a nut case.
The world needs more of those kind of folks.
palate that is supposedly a character in GWT. I guess I'd rather have a bit of bitterness
than have a cloying GWT that tires the palate.
w/ gobs of hedonistic fruit that are simply too tiring on the palate to drink a full btl
w/ a meal...plus cost well North of $20/btl. They have that minerality I used to find in
Alsace GWTs that harvesting sur-maturite now seems to obliterate in Alsace.
Tom
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

Re: WTN: Italian Biancos...(long/boring)

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:27 pm

Sorry Tom, not up on all my abbreviations - is GWT short for gewurztraminer?
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Yup...

by TomHill » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:30 pm

K Story wrote:Sorry Tom, not up on all my abbreviations - is GWT short for gewurztraminer?

GWT=Gewurztraminer
Tom