The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN - A Few Recent Notes

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

WTN - A Few Recent Notes

by John S » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:54 pm

• 2001 Domaine Santa Duc Gigondas - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Gigondas
    Deep ruby/purple in colour, with a nose full of redfruits (lots of cherry) and garrigue. Full bodied on a smooth palate (the tannins weren't as strong as I would have expected) full of concentrated redfruits, garrigue, licorice, leather and tar. Very nice gigondas. (A-)
  • 2003 Philippe Delesvaux Coteaux du Layon Clos de la Guiberderie - France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Coteaux du Layon
    Saw this on sale, so I thought I'd buy and try before buying mulitples. The end result is I'm not going back. I was surprised as to how thick in texture this wine is, but that's not the problem. Right now, this is far too flabby for my liking, and I don't see that improving. It is quite monolithic right now as well, but that may change. Mainly apple and honey right now. (B/B+)
  • 2005 Château Roquefort Blanc - France, Bordeaux, Entre-Deux-Mers, Premières Côtes de Bordeaux
    Hazy notes from afew days ago. Nice Bordeux blanc here, with the slightly grassy sauvignon balanced by herbal notes from the semillon. A very pleasant, medium bodied aperatif. (B+)
  • 2001 Glaetzer Shiraz The Bishop - Australia, South Australia, Barossa, Barossa Valley
    hazy notes. Nice Barossa shiraz here, with gamy and peppery notes on the full bodied - but not OTT - palate: there's licorice and plums too. Nice mixture of power and balance. (A-)
  • 2001 Agricoltori del Geografico Ferraiolo - Italy, Tuscany
    Hazy notes from last night. Lovely nose that had both sangiovese and cabernet characters; actually, the same could be said of the palate as well, with a lovely 'yin/yang' of sang/cab notes on a smooth texture. Great balance too. Very nice wine drinking well now, but should last a while as well. (A-)