Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.

How Often Do You Drink a Glass of Milk?

I drink one or more glasses of milk daily
16%
I drink a glass of milk 4 – 6 times weekly
No votes
I drink a glass of milk 3 – 5 times weekly
5%
I drink a glass of milk 1 – 2 times weekly
11%
I occasionally drink a glass of milk
16%
I very rarely drink a glass of milk
14%
I never drink a glass of milk
38%

Total votes : 37
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Culinary Poll #007: "Cow Juice"

by Daniel Rogov » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:24 am

Both the "common knowledge" and a good deal of medically sound research show that although milk is a major requirement for children and youths, cow's milk is extremely difficult to digest for adult humans. In fact, because it so difficult to digest, cow's milk may actually be harmful to us. Despite that, American adults continue to consume milk at an extraordinary pace, in fact Americans consuming more milk than all of the adults in the rest of the world combined.

We are not talking about milk as used to cook or make sauces, nor in ice cream, nor in dairy products such as cheese. What we are talking about is taking milk by the large glassful – with breakfast, with snacks, with lunch and sometimes even with and after dinner.

What about us. How often do we drink cow's milk? And if you do drink it, how do you like it (warm, hot, chilled, ice-cold,) and when do you like it? Any dishes with which a glass of milk especially beckons?

Oh yes…..and any thought about the milk of goats, sheep, camels or other mammals?
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

Re: Culinary Poll #007: "Cow Juice"

by Carl Eppig » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:32 am

I put whole milk in my cereal every morning, and chocolate milk in my coffee. Use milk in several recipes, but never drink a glass.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:38 am

A bunch of guys on Johnny Carson's late night show were talking about who the bravest man ever might be. Names like Abraham Lincoln and John Glenn were thrown out. Then comedian David Brenner said, "I think it was the first guy who said, see that cow? I'm going to reach under there and pull on those things, and whatever comes out I'm going to drink it."

Couldn't agree more. Decided I didn't like milk anymore when I was about 4 years old and haven't touched it since.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:52 am

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:58 am

I rarely drink milk straight anymore, but when I do, I want it ice-cold.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
User

Bob Hower

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:58 pm

Louisville, KY

by Bob Hower » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:07 am

Modern milk has been ruined by pasteurization, homogenization, and other factory farm practices. I am very suspicious of anything available in a supermarket called milk and I think a lot of the problems some people have with milk - allergies and the like - are a result of modern milk processing rather than something inherent with cow's milk. I am fortunate to be able to get whole raw milk from grass fed cows. It comes from a Mennonite farmer near me. Because it is illegal to sell raw milk in KY where I live for human consumption, it is sold "for pet use only." A tall glass of cold raw milk on a hot day is a truly wonderful thing, though,mostly I make it into kefir and yogurt and drink it that way. Kefir and yogurt take all the good nutrition of milk and add the benefits of "probiotic mico-organisms" you get from culturing it. If you count this, I drink about 2 glasses of milk a day.
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:45 pm

About a tablespoonful of whole milk in my cup of tea every morning. About 1/2 c in a bowl of cereal about 3x year.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:47 pm

I voted for occasionally but if the truth be told there are times when I absolutely lust after a large glass of ice-cold milk. Milk, like butter, in Israel leaves much to be desired, so I most indulge myself when visiting wine country in Tuscany and Burgundy, in Normandy or in parts of the USA where I can find fresh milk. Doesn't bother me if the milk has been pasteurized but I do try to avoid that stuff to which vitamins, preservatives and other additives are rampant.

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Shel T

Rank

Durable Bon Vivant

Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:56 pm

20 miles from the nearest tsunami

by Shel T » Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:30 pm

Never drink milk from any animal, have virtually no recs that require it, excluding sweetened condensed, and will very occasionally drink a little cold buttermilk.
Nullum gratuitum prandium
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:23 pm

Milk and dairy products are fine in recipes, and even in one's morning espresso drink.

But a glass of cold milk? That's for children, isn't it? :mrgreen:
User

Matilda L

Rank

Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:48 am

Adelaide, South Australia

by Matilda L » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:26 pm

I don't drink milk on its own, ever. Don't like the taste. I very occasionally drink a glass of iced coffee or iced chocolate at a cafe, but would never be bothered to make these at home. The largest part of my milk consumption comes from coffee with steamed milk at coffee shops. At home, I use soy milk in drinks, on cereal, because I prefer the taste.

Matilda
no avatar
User

Patti L

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:22 am

Iowa

by Patti L » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:31 am

I drink at least one, usually two, glasses of milk a day. I miss the Minnesota State Fair, where they had ice cold milk in machines that created foam on top, like old fashioned diners.
Patti
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Pastafarian

Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:09 am

I like milk.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:49 pm

It's very rare, but every once in awhile I will get an actual craving for a tall, very cold glass of milk. Otherwise, I only have it in my cereal. We keep skim milk on hand at all times.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (I feel so much better now.)
User

Ben Kfir

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:34 am

by Ben Kfir » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:59 pm

I never drink milk. It make me sick.

My mother told me that I never liked it even as baby.

On the other hand I like all kind of cheese.

Ben
Last edited by Ben Kfir on Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Shlomo R

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:49 am

by Shlomo R » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:01 am

I don't drink milk, as I am not fond of the effect it has on my sinuses.
http://www.chailifeline.org/events/Bike ... rosenzweig - cycling 175 miles to raise money for summer camp for kids with cancer - doing it again in 2014!
User

Leanne S

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:09 pm

Sonoma County

by Leanne S » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:55 am

ONLY if there's chocolate cake involved.
Here in California they put extra milk solids in, which makes it oddly sweet.
Actually I drank more milk in Israel a long time ago: chocolate milk in plastic bags-- you chew off one corner than suck on it-- we called it "the breast."
Also as a volunteers in the refet (cowshed) we'd turn off the stirring tank, wait until some cream rose to the top, and siphon it off, drinking it on the spot. Maybe that's causing Daniel's problem with milk in Israel?
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:01 pm

Yankton, SD

by Ryan M » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:29 pm

1 - 3 glasses daily. In my mind, the most fundamental beverage next to water.
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
User

Menachem S

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:46 am

by Menachem S » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:14 pm

Nothing like Milk and chocolate chip cookies, or Milk with rich, delicious cheese cake.

Not a glass on it's own, but to cut the richness of some awesome, simple deserts.
no avatar
User

Z Spigelman

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:26 am

Neve Tzuf, Israel

by Z Spigelman » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:50 am

I used to drink at least 1 glass a day when I lived in N.Y.
Since moving to Israel 18 years ago, I drink milk occasionally but nothing under 3%.
I agree with Menachem - great with c.c cookies, cheese cake and especially a rich chocolate cake with a creamy chocolate frosting.
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:59 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Milk and dairy products are fine in recipes, and even in one's morning espresso drink.

But a glass of cold milk? That's for children, isn't it? :mrgreen:

Bingo. Except for the espresso thing- that's a travesty.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:44 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Bingo. Except for the espresso thing- that's a travesty.

Nuthin' the matter with a latte or cappuccino. Only in the morning, of course, and assuming that one is not lactose-intolerant.
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:07 pm

Robin, Hi...

With all due respect to you and another 50,000,000 or so people who add milk to espresso, the furthest I'll go is a macchiato. I agree with the Italians......as I don't add sugar to my wine, neither do I add millk to my coffee.

As you get to know me better you will realize that I have somewhat of an aversion to the use of smilies. If I did not, however, this post would be accompanied by one or more.

Best
Rogov
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:26 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Nuthin' the matter with a latte or cappuccino.

Yes there is. Ewwww. Ruin good coffee like that; you should be ashamed.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
User

Charlie Dawg

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:34 pm

by Charlie Dawg » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:05 pm

As a child I wouold drink a glass of milk before going to bed every night, I liked it too, even loved it. Nowadays it is more of a habit. Thogh I still love the taste of milk, especially with a chocolate candy. Can drink a lot of it. Of course as mention abpve it is not that good for my stomach. I pay dearly when I drink a lot of it, but just can't stop my self. Because I keep Kosher and cannot mix meat and milk, sometimes I'd stay till 2 in the morning waiting for that time when I could have a glass of milk and then go to sleep. I know it's crazy.
You are what you eat.
Next