Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.

pick my birthday dinner!

User

Christine Cross

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:52 am

Caesarea, Israel

pick my birthday dinner!

by Christine Cross » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:28 am

My husband has a meeting in the US on my birthday this year. Sniff!

A similarly aged single friend and I are planning to head to Tel Aviv for the night to introduce me to the club scene (hubby claims to be "too old", so this may be my only chance). I want a good birthday dinner first, not just bar food. Where should we go that we won't feel out of place in club attire, but will be wowed by the food and wine? She eats mostly vegetarian/kosher dairy (not religious, just doesn't care for meat), but I love everything!
"One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating." -Luciano Pavarotti
no avatar
User

Trevor F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:48 pm

London

Re: pick my birthday dinner!

by Trevor F » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:40 am

If you want to be wowed by the food and wine why don't you cook the dinner yourself ? I prepare dinner myself if I want to be wowed because in that way I know exactly what food and wine I'm getting as I've bought it myself. Why rely on a restaurant that may have an off evening ? BTW it's my birthday today and we're not eating out.
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:52 am

Christine, Hi…

First of all, happy birthday. As to clubs in Tel Aviv, be aware that most of the clubs in the city offer food so bad that had they known about it in advance, the ancient Hebrews never would have crossed into their Promised Land.

Now the good news – there are two bars in the city that serve food that is really excellent. Both offer a wide selection of wines, cocktails and other beverages with which to celebrate.

The first of these is Peacock, more a club-bar at which chef Eran Shrotiman (of Orca) is a partner and in charge of the kitchens and the second is the bar area of Raphael at which chef Rafi Cohen holds court. In either case, phone in advance for reservations (if you decide on Raphael, be sure to ask for a table in the bar area)

Peacock
Rehov Marmorek 14 Tel Aviv
Open from 19:30- Tel: 03 6868259

Raphael
Rehov Hayarkon 87 Tel (03) 522-6464.
Open from 19:00-

Keep in mind of course that I am somewhat of a fuddy-duddy so my choices may be a bit on the conservative side for you.

Best
Rogov
User

Christine Cross

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:52 am

Caesarea, Israel

by Christine Cross » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:17 am

I have a firm rule that I don't cook when my husband is out of town :)

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll give my friend a choice between the two. Said birthday is not actually till December; but I just found out I'm going to be alone so I'm preplanning. She wants to include some of her friends to give it more of a "party" feel, so it sounds like we may need the lead time to get a reservation for a group.

I'm kind of a fuddy-duddy myself; I bet either of them will be perfect!
"One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating." -Luciano Pavarotti