Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.

What Do You Consider The King of Vegetables?

Asparagus
33%
Carrots
7%
Tomatoes
7%
Leeks
No votes
Lettuce
No votes
Onions
33%
Spring Onions (Scallions)
No votes
Chives
No votes
Spinach
7%
Eggplants (Aubergine)
7%
Sweet Red or Green Peppers
No votes
Corn
7%
Pumpkin
No votes
Radicchio
No votes
Broccoli
No votes
Cress
No votes
Brussels Sprouts
No votes

Total votes : 15
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Culinary Poll #009: The King of Vegetables

by Daniel Rogov » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:29 am

It may not be politically correct to say it aloud but not all vegetables are created equal. I doubt for example that many people would consider writing poetic odes or composing symphonies dedicated to the charms of the cabbage or the kohlrabi. What would you consider the king of vegetables – the one to which all other vegetables bow in humility – the one that is the most succulent, most sensual, most ……. well, most just about everything?

Please note, in the poll that follows, although tomatoes are actually a fruit, we'll consider them a vegetable. Also note that mushrooms of all kinds (including the noble truffle) are intentionally excluded from the poll.
User

Matilda L

Rank

Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:48 am

Adelaide, South Australia

Re: Culinaryu Poll #009: The King of Vegetables

by Matilda L » Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:11 am

Rogov, where is the POTATO?

"The Humble Potato", it is often called. But it doesn't have to be humble - it can be grand, elegant, impressive. It can be a meal in itself, or an accompaniment. It formed the basis of the diet for a large number of my ancestors.

I'd vote for the potato if it was on the list.

As it is, I've voted for the carrot, and would add the comment that there are more varieties of carrot than we see in the shops and I would like to try some of them.

Matilda
(who has just burned the carrots being prepared for Saturday evening dinner)
User

Michelle Nordell

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:27 am

Central Israel

Re: Culinaryu Poll #009: The King of Vegetables

by Michelle Nordell » Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:37 am

I voted for Asparagus, but I think the king of vegetables is the artichoke. For me, it is the food of the gods.
My food blog: Baroness Tapuzina
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

Re: Culinary Poll #009: The King of Vegetables

by Daniel Rogov » Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:43 am

Mea maxima culpa. Leaving out artichokes and potatoes (and probably several more) reflects not on any disdain for those great vegetables but on what happens when I post before there is enough caffeine in my blood stream.

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:57 am

I voted for onions because they are the start of zillions of dishes, plus sauteed they are great on hamburgers. If we could vote for two the next would be tomatoes for much the same reasons.
no avatar
User

Shel T

Rank

Durable Bon Vivant

Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:56 pm

20 miles from the nearest tsunami

by Shel T » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:06 pm

Tough call as my love for onions, spuds and asparagus is so great! But have to go with the humble ear of corn, think of it as the carpenter among the exalted, IMHO of course. Anything that's maed with/from and/or includes it is okay with me.
Nullum gratuitum prandium
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:55 am

I adore many of these vegetables but have no choice but in my vote for "the King" to cast my ballot for the asparagus. Difficult as all get out to match with wine but with either drawn butter, Hollandaise or vinaigrette, the most regal of vegetables.

Best
Rogov
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:09 am

R: dry muscat.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:52 am

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:18 pm

Since the potato wasn't a choice, I went with the onion, since it is the workhorse of the lot.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Yoni M

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:39 pm

Jerusalem

by Yoni M » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:11 am

A few responses here had me thinking of voting for the onion as well. But in my mind ubiquity is not tantamount to royalty.

I began eating asparagus only one year ago, and boy do I regret having being "repulsed" all of those years! Asparagus gets my vote. Besides, what other vegetable discriminates genetically?
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:00 am

Asparagus was tempting, particularly the white variety, but I think that tomato is the basis of so many different possible dishes and preparations that it has to get the nod for flexibility.
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:01 pm

Yankton, SD

by Ryan M » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:45 am

I'm with Matilda: for their fundamental value to (western) cuisine, their prevelance, and their versitility, the crown goes to potatos.

Of the available options, I voted for onions.
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:19 am

Ah Bryan, but the potatoes were accepted into the European kitchen only in the 18th century. Even then for many years it was considered illegal to plant them in France and even Ireland, some believing the humble potato could cause leprosy, mental retardation, syphillis and other nasty things.

As to North America - corn was a far more important crop for the culture and even survival of the original inhabitants and later the settlers.

The potato as king of vegetables - mmmm..... perhaps something akin to making Rumplestilskin the emperor of Austria?

Ye faithful but smiling curmudgeon
Rogov
User

Charlie Dawg

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:34 pm

by Charlie Dawg » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:06 pm

I also have to say potato. As for the fact that it did not come into the culinary scene of Europe until only couple or so hundreds of years ago. I have to say, I wasn't around those days and can only judge by what i see today.
You are what you eat.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:40 pm

No peas? No fresh beans? No artichokes or avocadoes? No summer or winter squash? No cabbage? What kind of a poll is this? :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:51 pm

Jenise wrote: No summer ...... squash?

The kind you peel or the kind you don't....?? :mrgreen:
User

Matilda L

Rank

Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:48 am

Adelaide, South Australia

by Matilda L » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:47 pm

The potato as king of vegetables - mmmm..... perhaps something akin to making Rumplestilskin the emperor of Austria?

What is a king? People no longer see kings as divine and untouchable; the expectation of a king is that he will be a symbol of unity, purpose and harmony, a foundation for the identity of the people; he will be responsible in some measure for guidance, welfare and justice. Kings don't have to be remote and grand - the most successful and best loved of kings have had the admiration of their people and were recognised as being "at one" with their subjects.

The potato provides a backbone for many a simple meal, and when robed and crowned with the appropriate spices and sauces, can be an adornment to elaborate ones too. It provides easily digestible nourishment, is available widely across the face of the earth in many different climates, and is relatively inexpensive - fair parallels to the king's responsibilities for welfare and justice. The potato has been adopted by the cuisines of many cultures - illustrating, perhaps, a benign version of the imperial ambitions of kings.

I reckon the potato can be king. Long live King Potato.

As for Rumplestiltskin being King of Austria, if he is still able to spin flax into gold, he may be in demand as leader in a good many countries.

Matilda
:wink:
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:07 pm

by Dave R » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:45 pm

And don't forget that you can make vodka out of potatoes. You can't do that with brussel sprouts! :)
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:57 pm

Dave R wrote:And don't forget that you can make vodka out of potatoes. You can't do that with brussel sprouts! :)

Well I suppose you COULD, but who would you get to drink it......
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:59 pm

Where are lima beans? Fresh lima beans are one of my assurances that there is a God! :lol:
.....we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth. A. Lincoln
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:26 pm

James Roscoe wrote:Where are lima beans? Fresh lima beans are one of my assurances that there is a God! :lol:

I kind of agree with you. At least in that frozen lima beans are one of my all time favorite breakfast foods--just a bowl of them, nuked, with a little butter. I've never seen a fresh lima bean.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:29 pm

You need to get out more. :mrgreen:
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
User

P Arvela

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:54 am

by P Arvela » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:32 pm

The onions and asparagus were deuce so I had to vote for asparagus. I love it because after eating it my urine smells odd
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:16 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:You need to get out more. :mrgreen:

Was that to me or James? :wink:
Next