Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Frank Bruni On The Critic's Point Of View

by Daniel Rogov » Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:17 pm

Sent to me by one of my faithful correspondents. Frank Bruni, the restaurant critic for the New York Times has been answering readers questions online. Some interesting observations on his part - many of which I agree with in full, some of that do not fill me with enthusiasm but at any rate, the point of view of one of America's most important critics. Well worth the read at http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/20/busin ... ref=slogin

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Shel T

Rank

Durable Bon Vivant

Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:56 pm

20 miles from the nearest tsunami

Re: Frank Bruni On The Critic's Point Of View

by Shel T » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:43 pm

Very interesting and worth the read. Seems like he fielded most of the questions that come up, and agree or disagree, at least they were covered.
For the record, a resto where I have to shout to be heard, gets my business only once. Ditto for one that doesn't honor my reservation after a reasonable amount of time and doesn't attempt to explain or give a damn.
Nullum gratuitum prandium
no avatar
User

Francois de Melogue

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:26 am

Anderson Valley, Northern California

Re: Frank Bruni On The Critic's Point Of View

by Francois de Melogue » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:16 pm

that was an interesting read. i also was interested in the acceptable waiting time for a restaurant. I recently had the unfortuneate pleasure of dining at Artisanal. We had a 9:00 p.m. reservationa dn weren't seated till 9:30 or even a little later. We had just been at Flex Mussels working and decided to eat there a few hours earlier. We were both dressed casually... which I think is appropriate for a brasserie. It is funny, our waitress judged that we wouldn't spend money so our service was pitifully mediocre... as was her tip. The food blah... and surprisingly the cheeses were not as good as the ones I had ordered for years in various restaurants.

I have to say I was pissed about waiting. Nothing pisses me off more. If the host had actually apologized and said here's a glass of wine... sorry for waiting in a tiny doorway I would have felt better. oh well.

Grimod
Grimod