Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Missing In Action from One of My Restaurant Reviews

by Daniel Rogov » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:46 pm

Several people have pointed out that part of the Hebrew language printing of my review of the new restaurant "The 11th Floor" at Ramat Gan's Crowne Plaza hotel was left out in the English edition. They have asked why that happened and have asked if I could reproduce that section here.

The reason it happened was simply the lack of space available on the page. The original English as it appeared in the newspaper can be found at http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1041362.html . The portion that went missing follows

Best
Rogov

After my trauma with the salad I decided that I needed a cigarette break before continuing with my main course. Now let it be known loudly and clearly that I never have and never will advocate that anyone smoke cigarettes. In fact, I try to convince people who are considering starting to smoke that this is a thoroughly bad habit. Despite all of that, I do enjoy my cigarettes and asked the maitresse d'hotel where I could indulge. I was told that although guests were allowed to smoke in their rooms the only other place in the entire hotel in which others could smoke was in a small room on the ground floor. I did wonder why in such a large and supposedly upswing restaurant located 11 stories above the lobby why such a small and fully isolated smoking room could not have been set aside for diners, but told her that I would return in a few moments to continue my meal.

I then stood, almost open-mouthed in surprise, when she informed me that I would have to leave my identity card with her before leaving the restaurant. I asked why and was told that that was a guarantee that I would not leave without paying my bill. In order to avoid confrontation, I restrained my anger and even refrained from asking if one needed to leave their id card if they wanted to go to the men's room. I did, however, inform the hostess that the only person to whom I would surrender my id card would be an on-duty policeman and despite her somewhat hostile stare walked to the elevator. On arrival at the lobby I found one of the hotel's security guards waiting for me and he followed me to the smoking room, presumably guarding my body as the hotel's assurance that I would not vanish into the night after having eaten and not yet paid for my first course.
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:10 pm

Norwich, UK

Re: Missing In Action from One of My Restaurant Reviews

by Ian Sutton » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:50 pm

:shock:
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster