Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.

Clafoutis, anyone?

User

Matilda L

Rank

Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:48 am

Adelaide, South Australia

Clafoutis, anyone?

by Matilda L » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:39 pm

My plum tree has a nice lot of plums on it this summer, and they are just starting to get ripe. I picked the first one today after lunch and it was perfect! So I am going to pick the first lot this afternoon.

Does anyone have a favourite recipe for clafoutis? I haven't ever made this, but it might be a good way to use some of the plums. (Someone told me that if it is made with cherries, it is clafoutis; if it is made with some other fruit - presumably including plums - it's flaugnard. Maybe someone can tell me if that is right, too :) )

Matilda
User

Michelle Nordell

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:27 am

Central Israel

Re: Clafoutis, anyone?

by Michelle Nordell » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:57 pm

Matilda, this is my tried and true clafoutis recipe:

Limousin Cherry Clafoutis

Yes, I believe it is true that a clafoutis is only made with cherries and a flaugnarde is made with other fruits.
My food blog: Baroness Tapuzina
User

Matilda L

Rank

by Matilda L » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:55 pm

Hi Michelle, happy new year. Thank you for the recipe. I will probably make a clafoutis/flaugnarde in a week or so. I picked enough yesterday afternoon to make a plum crumble (a favourite of my partner) and am using Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's recipe for plum and honey crumble. I've just discovered Fearnley-Whittingstall; the local TV programming has put his program "The River Cottage Treatment" on as a summer filler. I don't watch much TV, but tried this program out of curiosity and I like his recipes.

Matilda
covered in mosquito bites after clearing out the fernery
User

Leanne S

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:09 pm

Sonoma County

by Leanne S » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:22 am

Clafoutis, at least the one time I made it, tasted rather breakfasty to me, not decadent enough for dessert. Matilda, what kind of plums are they? I have a Santa Rosa, which is a Japanese type, and a prune plum, which is European. They are very different, I can't substitute one for the other in any recipe at all.

Of course both my trees are bare now, but will be blossoming next month. If we get any rain. It was 80+ degrees this week, and no rain in sight. This is supposed to be winter.
User

Matilda L

Rank

by Matilda L » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:11 am

They are Satsuma plums, Leanne. Rather on the sour side unless picked at the peak of ripeness. We chose it mainly for chutneys and sauces, and planted another blood-plum for eating and sweet cooking, but that died the first summer.

I had expected more fruit to ripen by now; I'm still getting small amounts every few days but the majority of the fruit is still firm and not quite ready to come off the tree. The clafoutis/flaugnarde is on hold. Yesterday, I picked a bowl full of the plums, some quite ripe and others still a little firm, sliced them up and baked them in their own juice with a generous sprinkling of slivered almonds, cinnamon and brown sugar. Wonderfully sweet-sour, with a baked custard.

If we get any rain. It was 80+ degrees this week, and no rain in sight. This is supposed to be winter.

We've had a cool summer so far. Tuesday, it went over 40 degrees, and then yesterday, in the mid 30s. But apart from that, mild. Weird. Good ripening weather for pinot noir, I suppose.
User

Leanne S

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:09 pm

Sonoma County

by Leanne S » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:57 pm

I love satsumas, but I've never seen a lot of them on any tree. My prune plums, on the other hand--- are likely to take over the world.