Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.

Dining in Negev?

User

Vladimir P

Rank

Cellar rat

Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:41 am

Dining in Negev?

by Vladimir P » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:38 am

There are no restaurants in Negev (except Eilat) on Daniel Rogov's list. Can anyone recommend anything for the breakfast/lunch/dinner in the South?
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Re: Dining in Negev?

by Daniel Rogov » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:25 am

Vladimir, Hi....

In addition to being a geographically defined desert, so is much of the southern area of the country a culinary desert. At this stage the onlly place I can recommend with enthusiasm is Beer Sheba's Yakota restaurant (see my blurb below). Also much to be admired are the felafel and humous joints located on the Bedouin side of the city's shuk.

When driving south of Beer Sheba, it has been my habit to travel with an insulated container, to stop at some of the good grocery and delicatessen shops in the Bedouin market, there to stock up on bread, beer, salads, cold meats, humous and other things that will make for a good picnic along the way.

Best
Rogov

Yakota 27 Mordai Haghetta'ot St., Beer Sheba (08) 623-2689. Sun-Thurs 12:00-24:00; Fri 11:00-16:00; Sat after the close of Shabbat. Tel 08 6232689. Genuine Moroccan cuisine in a homey and warm atmosphere, every dish a mini-masterpiece of country-style cuisine. Fine meze offerings and then excellent lamb, beef and ox-tail tagines. Tempting pastries and tea for dessert. Moderate. Kosher ***