Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.

Jerusalem Meals on Shabbat

no avatar
User

Jaicky T

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:45 am

Jerusalem Meals on Shabbat

by Jaicky T » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:25 am

Daniel,

Are you aware of any kosher restaurants that do prepaid meals on Shabbat?

Do you have any comments on the meals at the Inbal or Plaza? I had heard the Plaza food has gone downhill.

Thanks
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Re: Jerusalem Meals on Shabbat

by Daniel Rogov » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:37 am

Yaakov, Hi....

Unlike many places in the United States where kashrut certificates are granted entirely on the basis of the foods prepared and served, with very rare expcetions (a few restaurants in the Galilee), kosher restaurants in Israel are not even allowed to open their doors on the sabbath. In fact, they are required to close their doors a minimum of one hour before the onset of the sabbath and then to re-open only after the sabbath is officially open.

Because of the needs of visiting tourists staying at hotels who cannot prepare meals at home, hotels are allowed to serve meals on the sabbath but all of the food must be prepared before the onset of the sabbath. With this in mind, breakfast and lunch are served on Saturdays but those are mostly of cold buffets and, if the truth be told, there is not a single kosher hotel that offers food of a quality high enough to attract me on the sabbath. I suppose if I did have to dine in one of those restaurants I would stick rather carefully to the hard boiled eggs.

Best
Rogov
User

Charlie Dawg

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:34 pm

Re: Jerusalem Meals on Shabbat

by Charlie Dawg » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:04 pm

Sheraton hotel I believe has prepaid meals, and actually some other so called kosher hotels too. You may want to check it.
You are what you eat.