Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.

Is Food The New Sex?

User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Is Food The New Sex?

by Daniel Rogov » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:18 am

Writing in Stanford Univerity's Hoover Institution publication, Mary Eberstadt examines the changing roles of sex and food in building our personal moral aesthetic. Long but worth reading. See the article at http://www.hoover.org/publications/poli ... 45724.html
no avatar
User

Shel T

Rank

Durable Bon Vivant

Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:56 pm

20 miles from the nearest tsunami

Re: Is Food The New Sex?

by Shel T » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:56 pm

Interesting-ish...I guess.
Immediate impressions of this 'scholarly' thesis, written by somebody with too much time on her hands, re-hash (there's a nice food word!) of every legit to semi-legit to outright cockamaney theories, quasi-research, feelings etc. ever written on the subject and don't think this article advanced knowledge one iota.
Writer appeared to be out to impress readers with extent of vocabulary, numerically speaking.
Oops, think I'm falling into the same trap, will stop now!
Nullum gratuitum prandium
User

Matilda L

Rank

Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:48 am

Adelaide, South Australia

Re: Is Food The New Sex?

by Matilda L » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:50 pm

Interesting ideas.

The writer poses the question - and I'm paraphrasing here - why our values shift in one direction in relation to one topic, and in another direction in relation to a different topic. This doesn't seem so surprising. Nobody expects humans to be consistent. Seems to me that as thinking people examine their attitudes to things, and compare them with what they have learned and heard about, they modify and shift what they think. Where they think former attitudes were too restrictive for their own tastes, they embrace more liberal attitudes. Where they think former attitudes didn't give enough consideration or seemed uninformed, they tend to bring more detailed attention or information to bear on making their decisions. The results are that shifts in attitude inevitably occur, but they don't necessarily go in consistent directions.