Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.

How to become obese

no avatar
User

Trevor F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:48 pm

London

How to become obese

by Trevor F » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:58 am

Have a look at this website for a laugh ( or maybe it's not so funny ) :

http://thisiswhyyourefat.com/
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Re: How to become obese

by Daniel Rogov » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:37 pm

Trevor, Hi.....

I don't at all mind the calories in most of those dishes. What bothers me (almost to the point of nausea) is that those are among the most revolting looking dishes I have seen in many a long moon.

Best
Rogov
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:52 am

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:30 pm

I think we have discovered to true meaning of obscenity... :roll:
Some of those dishes look like they've already been eaten and come back out one end or the other.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
User

Matilda L

Rank

Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:48 am

Adelaide, South Australia

by Matilda L » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:25 am

Well, I stuck it out for five pages of the web site.
All this deep fried stuff - I just don't get it. Deep fried pizza? Cupcakes? Guacamole? It's like another language.
Some truly ugly stuff.
no avatar
User

Vincenzo di N

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:44 pm

Between Rome and Sarajevo in 2009

by Vincenzo di N » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:29 am

the sad side is that many persons are already used to food like this. The current economic situation will only increase the number. Food as survival opposed to food as pleasure. In critical times the first prevails.
Food is an hedonistic exercise for soul (luckily) and, as such, it belongs to the decadent stage of any civilisation. Our civilisation went over (unfortunately) the decadentism and now we are in full recession. I am afraid that, if we accept the principle that eating well needs also the support of financial capabilities, food for soul will then remain a privilege for few. In alternative, those, like me, with a moderate financial access but with a strong need of food for soul, will have to establish new terms of evaluation for good food. Starting to appreciate, more than we do now, the excellence of a mackerel instead of that of a wild seabass might be an example. Some people have alreay started this. Among them, Daniel Rogov with his reviews of more economically accessible wines. For the rest, we'll try to catch by ourself a wild seabass.
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Pastafarian

Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:23 am

Vincenzo di N wrote:the sad side is that many persons are already used to food like this. The current economic situation will only increase the number. Food as survival opposed to food as pleasure. In critical times the first prevails.
Food is an hedonistic exercise for soul (luckily) and, as such, it belongs to the decadent stage of any civilisation. Our civilisation went over (unfortunately) the decadentism and now we are in full recession. I am afraid that, if we accept the principle that eating well needs also the support of financial capabilities, food for soul will then remain a privilege for few. In alternative, those, like me, with a moderate financial access but with a strong need of food for soul, will have to establish new terms of evaluation for good food. Starting to appreciate, more than we do now, the excellence of a mackerel instead of that of a wild seabass might be an example. Some people have alreay started this. Among them, Daniel Rogov with his reviews of more economically accessible wines. For the rest, we'll try to catch by ourself a wild seabass.

Victory garden.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Pastafarian

Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:37 am

I thought that was just disgusting - how they demeaned a gourmet treat like canned pork brains in milk gravy by including it with all that other trash. It's an instant fix for all those with low cholesterol!
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Vincenzo di N

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:44 pm

Between Rome and Sarajevo in 2009

by Vincenzo di N » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:33 am

Victory garden.[/quote]

I did't know about the victory gardens. I see in a Southern Italian city small pieces of land about 10x10 mt given to pensioners by the public administration for family use. That social factor still works.