Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.

Culinary Poll #31: Hot Dog!

User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Culinary Poll #31: Hot Dog!

by Daniel Rogov » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:53 pm

Simple enough this week – how do you like your hot dogs? On a bun, without a bun, with sauerkraut, hot onions, ketchup, mustard, mayonnaise, hot sauce… and on and on. Name your combination…..no one will laugh.

And if you care to name your favorite brand of hot dogs…… Also should the mood strike you…your favorite places for feasting on hot dogs.
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:09 pm

North Carolina

Re: Culinary Poll #31: Hot Dog!

by Linda R. (NC) » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:37 pm

My favorite condiments are yellow mustard and chili, and sometimes a little slaw.

My brand-Hebrew National (the reduced fat version).

My favorite local hot dog eatery is a place called P.B.'s Takeout. They do have a few seats inside and a couple picnic tables out front. They have the best hot dogs in town! :D
no avatar
User

Shel T

Rank

Durable Bon Vivant

Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:56 pm

20 miles from the nearest tsunami

by Shel T » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:36 pm

With chili and if not available, mustard, chopped onion and jalapenos. Our usual market has been doing their "own brand" last year or two that's excellent, probably made by Hebrew National.
Nullum gratuitum prandium
User

Matilda L

Rank

Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:48 am

Adelaide, South Australia

by Matilda L » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:09 pm

My choice these days is: not at all. Must be ten years since I ate a hot dog. Probably be another ten years before I eat another one.
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:19 pm

Nathan's, of course. They don't seem to sell the ones with the skin nationally. Just the skinless. Oh, and I also liked to get a knish while at Coney Island. And then later, some antacids.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

MichaelB

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:32 pm

Sierra southmost, California

by MichaelB » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:36 am

Ha, I liked Matilda's response. Noboby plays baseball (or rounders, if you are a historical purist) in Australia. Hot dogs are made of mystery meat and various binders, and there is no spice in them. Neverthless, watching Manny Ramirez knock one out of the park while eating Dodger Dogs is a fun quasi-gastronomical thrill. But only if accompanied with a watery American brew!
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:52 am

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:01 pm

Matilda L wrote:My choice these days is: not at all. Must be ten years since I ate a hot dog. Probably be another ten years before I eat another one.

I'm the same way.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
User

Matilda L

Rank

Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:48 am

Adelaide, South Australia

by Matilda L » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:32 pm

Noboby plays baseball (or rounders, if you are a historical purist) in Australia

Well, only a small number do. In the southern states, the "big game" in winter time is Aussie Rules football - and the correct thing to eat at a footy match is a meat pie. In Adelaide, that means a Vili's or a Balfour's pie. Other brands are not quite the thing. :wink:

The other Aussie snack that might fill a similar cultural function to the hot dog is the Chiko Roll. To my mind, this is a disgusting item, and I haven't touched one since I was young and silly. I suppose they still make them. It's a bit like a giant spring roll, contains a lot of overcooked, anonymous, stringy vegetables and de-natured meat with no flavour or texture. Advertising campaigns for this abomination used to link it with surfing. Possibly the consumption of these things was a way to proof yourself against sharks. http://www.upfromaustralia.com/chikoroll.html
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:04 pm

Ah yes, hot dogs.

No bun, an interesting flavourful weiner (regular commercial ones scare me - I always think about what went into them!), maybe some choucroute, definitely some coarse grain moutarde...gotta go, I'm getting hungry.
no avatar
User

Shlomo R

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:49 am

by Shlomo R » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:06 am

On a bun, with mustard and sauerkraut. Don't really have a favorite brand, but my favorite place for feasting on hot dogs is home, during grilling season.
https://www.bike4chai.com/SolomonRosenzweig - cycling 175 miles to raise money for summer camp for kids with cancer - doing it again for the 5th time in 2016!
no avatar
User

Scott Lancer

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:53 pm

Rochester, NY

by Scott Lancer » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:52 pm

Far away, ever since the second worst summer job I ever had.
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:01 pm

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:49 am

Ketchup and pickle relish. But only if the frank is all beef. Otherwise, nothing, because I wouldn't being eating the dog anyway.
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:23 pm

Restricting myself entirely to hot dogs (and thus avoiding the issues of knockwurst, bratwurst and the like).

In the USA:

If at a street-side stand in Manhattan (ideally Sabrett) - on a bun with mustard, ketchup, kraut and hot onions
If at a kosher deli - option (a) on a bun with kraut and mustard (ideally deli mustard)
If at a kosher deli - option (b) on a plate with no bun but "Jewish rye bread on the side (minimum of three hot-dogs, better is four), with side orders of potato salad and coleslaw and good mustard for dipping the dogs
If at a fast-food joint amost anywhere outside of New York City - on a bun with nothing but lots of mustard

In Europe or Israel

Almost invariably two dogs, slit lengthwise, on a baguette with some combination of (or all) mustard, ketchup, mayonnaise and sauerkraut

Best
Rogov
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:52 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:...gotta go, I'm getting hungry.

Did you go to Japadog?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:57 pm

Hebrew National are the only decent supermarket brand, but occasionally a batch of some east coast fat and short "garlic weiners" or something shows up here, and those are often interesting enough to coax me out of hot dog hiatus. It's just not a food I enjoy unless it's high end quality. Kroger chain stores (or at least, Ralph's market in Southern California used to) also sell an old-fashioned looking type (natural skin, and where all the dogs in the pack are slightly different lengths) that has great snap to the skin (like the dogs at Pinks, Shel!) which I adore.

As for the rest--favorite combination: rolled in a hot corn tortilla spread with Dijon mustard. If I must accept a bun instead, then baseball mustard OR sauerkraut, but not both. Nothing else tolerated.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:06 pm

It's almost impossible to find a good hot dog outside New York or Chicago in this country. The things with the gelatin skin do nothing for me. I need that "pop" in the natural skin.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:01 am

ChefJCarey wrote:It's almost impossible to find a good hot dog outside New York or Chicago in this country. The things with the gelatin skin do nothing for me. I need that "pop" in the natural skin.

Same thing I meant by 'snap'. If you get Hemplers brand pork products down there (it's a local Bellingham brand, but I've seen it in Seattle and generally anything one sees in Seattle goes to Portland too), they do a natural skin frank. I find all their products taste oversalted (and I love salt, so this is saying something) but a bun provides some balance, and the texture's good.
no avatar
User

Ari Miller

Rank

Cellar rat

Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:44 am

by Ari Miller » Mon May 04, 2009 6:42 am

Ooh, hot dogs. What a god damned treat. I don't mean that colloquially, rather that I believe this wonderful food is damned by some type of deity. It must be considering how delicious they are is in inverse proportion to how disgusting they are.

In Israel, my favorite place to get a dog is at the Mizra int'l food shop in the bottom of Dizengoff Center. NIS 15 and that includes sauerkraut, heinz ketchup and chimchurri and spicy mustard. Though they've got other toppings, I've found satisfaction with this combination. Also in Israel, I've found it best to stay away from just about every other place.

In Philadelphia, I just love the dogs from the silver vendors that dot the street corners there.

In NYC, what can I say, I like to hit up Gray's Papaya.

In Worcester, MA I was frequently found at Coney Island (at least during my BA days).

In all these American scenarios,it doesn't get better than chili, cheese and onions.
no avatar
User

Alan Wolfe

Rank

On Time Out status

Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:34 am

West Virginia

by Alan Wolfe » Fri May 08, 2009 11:49 pm

Hebrew National, yellow mustard, chili and onions on a bun.