Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.

Where Do We Stand on Bacon?

Is there life without bacon?
36%
I adore bacon and eat it once a week or more
15%
I adore bacon but eat it less than once a week
27%
I adore bacon but avoid it because of cholesterol or triglyceride problems
9%
I like bacon but can live comfortably without it
6%
I do not like bacon
3%
What's bacon?
3%

Total votes : 33
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Culinary Poll #32: Reflections on Bacon

by Daniel Rogov » Sat May 02, 2009 3:04 pm

Alfred, Lord Tennyson was quite correct when he wrote that "in the spring a young man's fancy lightly turns to thoughts of love". I'm not sure whether it is because I am no longer quite as young as once but in recent days my fancy has been turning distinctly to bacon. With apologies to those of us who maintain kashrut and to whom bacon is thus forbidden, where do we stand on the bacon question?

And please, your favorite and even wildest thoughts about bacon (in dishes, in dreams, in sex…whatever)
no avatar
User

Trevor F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:48 pm

London

Re: Culinary Poll #32: Reflections on Bacon

by Trevor F » Sat May 02, 2009 3:11 pm

Oh Ch.......... this is so boring. Every so often bacon comes into it. You might as well have a poll about reflections on gefilte fish or smoked salmon.

Can't we all use a bit of imagination ( myself included ) and suggest some interesting culinary polls ?
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Sat May 02, 2009 3:15 pm

Trevor, Hi.....

We've done a poll on Gefilte Fish. Quite a few participants as well and a good bit of humor. As to suggestions - feel free to send me any you have by private message or email. Suggestions are always welcome.

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Shel T

Rank

Durable Bon Vivant

Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:56 pm

20 miles from the nearest tsunami

by Shel T » Sat May 02, 2009 5:18 pm

bacon is never boring, but gefilte fish...LOL, well okay!
And love bacon in all its forms and types, E.G. pancetta, guanciale, back, streaky, Canadian, Irish and whatever other ways it's sold! New product out I gotta try is bacon salt that comes in 9 flavors.
Nullum gratuitum prandium
User

Matilda L

Rank

Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:48 am

Adelaide, South Australia

by Matilda L » Sun May 03, 2009 2:25 am

Love it. Hardly ever have it.

Favourite bacon snack: devils on horseback.
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Sun May 03, 2009 2:32 am

Matilda, Hi....

And what, precisely is are "devils on horseback"?

Best
Rogov
User

Matilda L

Rank

Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:48 am

Adelaide, South Australia

by Matilda L » Sun May 03, 2009 3:53 am

Devils on horseback are savouries that used to be very popular at occasions like weddings and large dinners in country Australia. Not very fashionable these days but I love 'em.

Take some pitted prunes. Wrap each prune in a strip of bacon. Place on a tray and bake in a fairly hot oven till the bacon is cooked. A variation to this is to put some form of stuffing into the prune, eg a spoonful of chutney mixed with breadcrumbs to give it form, or a blanched almond.

I enjoy the strong sweet-savoury taste, and they're great in cold weather. Fiddly to make, though, so I don't do them very often, and only when I have a houseful of people to eat them.

Their 'cousins' are angels on horseback, which have oysters instead of prunes. I don't enjoy these because I am not fond of oysters.
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sun May 03, 2009 12:08 pm

I love pork and I love salt -- bacon is a no brainer. But, I hardly ever eat it. I season with it quite often. On my radio program last week I read an article entitled - BACON: I'ts What's for Dessert!! The article was so intriguing, but not nearly as interesting as the four recipes which followed -- Peanut butter, bacon and banana cookies; chocolate covered rum bacon; maple burbon with bacon praline ice cream; maple bacon bread pudding. The key ingredient in 3 of the 4 desserts is something called Praline of Bacon. (I would imagine that the bacon is about the size of toffee chips.) I will be experimenting with this ingredient soon. IF you give it a try, let me know what you come up with.

Parline of Bacon
1 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp Worchestershire sauce
1 Tbsp melted butter
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1 Tsp cinnamon
1/2 lb bacon, cooked and diced

Preheat oven to 375º. Spray sheetpan. In a mixing bowl, add the sugar, Worchestershire sauce, butter, pepper and cinnamon. Pour mixture onto sheetpan and toss cooked bacon to evenly coat. Bake stirring and turning every 5 minutes for 20-25 minutes. William Mueller: Babblin Babs Bistro.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Shel T

Rank

Durable Bon Vivant

by Shel T » Sun May 03, 2009 3:01 pm

Re Devils on horseback, an interesting retro appetizer probably being recycled as we speak! There's a variation I like even better, using pitted dates and stuffing them with a savory cheese.
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Sun May 03, 2009 4:13 pm

I don't know whether coquilles St Jacques (scallops) wrapped in bacon and grilled is considered retro in the USA but it remains very popular throughout Europe and in those places in the Middle-East where pork is allowed. Whatever, a dish I much enjoy.
no avatar
User

Vincenzo di N

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:44 pm

Between Rome and Sarajevo in 2009

by Vincenzo di N » Mon May 04, 2009 6:25 am

Hi Daniel,
those served at Helena in Caesarea with a gorogonzola sauce have too heavy taste. And I have found diiferent versions of them around Europe.
At home I prefer to serve StJacques with a light asparagus sauce and some powder from smashed almonds. I don't grill the coquilles, I just cook them very quickly in the fat from the bacon wrapped around.
Have a good day
no avatar
User

Ari Miller

Rank

Cellar rat

Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:44 am

by Ari Miller » Mon May 04, 2009 6:29 am

Long time reader, first time poster. Ha! Fitting that it regards bacon as, if you eat meat, it does not get any better than this. In case anyone suggest that fries (aka chips) are a suitable rival: http://www.tressugar.com/2471297

Last night checked out the 8mm Piano Bar, on Washington Blvd. in Florentine, for the first time. The guy at the bar seated next to me, had their salad with bacon pieces. The smell was intoxicating (or was that the booze?) Didn't sample it, wasn't hungry enough to order, felt bad to ask the stranger for a bite. But looking forward to getting back there for a taste.

On the note of bacon, man, its hard to get anything decent in Israel - still hardly a reason to stop eating the stuff here (and I've got a standing order with friends arriving from the US or Europe). I've heard two things: a) bacon here sucks cause it's illegal to import and is therefore all domestic, which is a product of swine that undergo laboratory tests. (The notion is that fear does not lead to tasty meat) and, b) that there's a small, Russian deli on Basel in North TA that has some spectacular bacon as well as homemade sausages.

Yes, no, maybe?
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:17 pm

Albany, New York

by Covert » Mon May 04, 2009 8:48 pm

I pretty much avoid it, like everything else that tastes or feels good, save that one, huge, giant exception, wine. But in terms of ultimate taste, if it is crispy enough, I think it ranks near or at the top.
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Mon May 04, 2009 11:19 pm

We both love it here, but haven't found a way to get the sodium low enough for Janet to eat it.

And it would be a great cruelty to make something that smells so delicious if she can't partake.

:(
no avatar
User

Shlomo R

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:49 am

by Shlomo R » Tue May 05, 2009 12:13 am

Daniel,

It seems silly for you to apologize for a culinary poll about something that has such enormous broad based culinary appeal as bacon. I've never tasted it, but I will admit that based on the smell I would most probably find it delicious and hard to resist. My wife, on the other hand, shared an apartment with a non-jewish girl for a year before we were married, and found the smell of cooked bacon very off-putting. So while I am not voting, if I could eat the stuff I would probably be voting "Is there life without bacon?"
https://www.bike4chai.com/SolomonRosenzweig - cycling 175 miles to raise money for summer camp for kids with cancer - doing it again for the 5th time in 2016!
no avatar
User

Shel T

Rank

Durable Bon Vivant

by Shel T » Tue May 05, 2009 5:44 am

Daniel, love this thread and all the opinions, many of which put me in mind of a very funny, in the macbr sense, short story by Roald Dahl entitled "Pig". If you haven't read it, check it out.
Nah, won't tease you, here's a link to the plot
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:S ... Roald_Dahl
Then go to the "Pig" link
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Tue May 05, 2009 5:59 am

Shel, Hi....

Perhaps off-thread somewhat but I have always thought of Roald Dahl and Wiliam Buckley in a manner somewhat akin.

Buckley, although considerably right wing was so bright that all of us left-winters always wished he was one of us.
Dahl, wrote short stories so worth chuckling over (in a perverse say) that many of us forgave him his distinctly anti-Semitic tendencies.

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Shel T

Rank

Durable Bon Vivant

by Shel T » Tue May 05, 2009 2:17 pm

Daniel Rogov wrote:Shel, Hi....

Perhaps off-thread somewhat but I have always thought of Roald Dahl and Wiliam Buckley in a manner somewhat akin.

Buckley, although considerably right wing was so bright that all of us left-winters always wished he was one of us.
Dahl, wrote short stories so worth chuckling over (in a perverse say) that many of us forgave him his distinctly anti-Semitic tendencies.

Best
Rogov

Met Buckley once and brilliance shouldn't be judged by political leanings, it's rare enough to just enjoy the experience.
Didn't know about Dahl's anti-semitism, but he sure as hell ain't alone.
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed May 06, 2009 4:44 pm

Shel T wrote:Re Devils on horseback, an interesting retro appetizer probably being recycled as we speak! There's a variation I like even better, using pitted dates and stuffing them with a savory cheese.

The first time I ever saw these made, at my grandmother's insistence I accompanied her to a "cooking class" at the Beverly Manor Nursing Home in Seal Beach, California, where she lived the last few years of her life. So there was me, the "instructor", about 15 drooling elderly ladies in wheel chairs, two of whom held baby dolls in their arms, and an old letch named Lenny (your uncle?) who was putting the moves on my grandmother, probably because she was the only one his age awake. I had to pinch myself to keep from giggling out loud.

And though I have since come to realize that these are a classic of sorts and even run into them at dinner parties, both stuffed and unstuffed, my initial impression will be forever informed by that first experience and I cannot think of this as elegant, or even desirable, food. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Shlomo R

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:49 am

by Shlomo R » Thu May 07, 2009 8:28 am

Matilda L wrote:Devils on horseback are savouries that used to be very popular at occasions like weddings and large dinners in country Australia. Not very fashionable these days but I love 'em.

Take some pitted prunes. Wrap each prune in a strip of bacon. Place on a tray and bake in a fairly hot oven till the bacon is cooked. A variation to this is to put some form of stuffing into the prune, eg a spoonful of chutney mixed with breadcrumbs to give it form, or a blanched almond.

I enjoy the strong sweet-savoury taste, and they're great in cold weather. Fiddly to make, though, so I don't do them very often, and only when I have a houseful of people to eat them.

Their 'cousins' are angels on horseback, which have oysters instead of prunes. I don't enjoy these because I am not fond of oysters.

Sounds delicious.
https://www.bike4chai.com/SolomonRosenzweig - cycling 175 miles to raise money for summer camp for kids with cancer - doing it again for the 5th time in 2016!
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Wed May 13, 2009 8:08 pm

Matilda L wrote:Love it. Hardly ever have it.

Favourite bacon snack: devils on horseback.

Funny, mine is "Angels on horseback." Oysters wrapped in bacon and roasted. MMMM. (I like the devils also!)
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
User

Charlie Dawg

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:34 pm

by Charlie Dawg » Tue May 19, 2009 5:09 pm

Let me be the first one to say that I do not like bacon. Nad not because I keep kosher, I simply do not like it. Yes I had a life before kosher. Let me be more clear. I do not know about other places in the world and types of pork fat produced there, but what I have com to lear as "bacon" here in the USA, I simply do not like. There are much better ways for pork production.
You are what you eat.
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:01 pm

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Fri May 22, 2009 10:44 am

None of the option quite fits me - I like bacon very very much, but don't quite adore it, and although I do not eat it with any great frequency, wouldn't want to do completely without it.

Here's one my wife is particularly fond of, oh so bad, but oh so good:

Grangers
bagels
bacon
cream cheese
mozzarella

Don't think any instructions are necessary!
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Fri May 22, 2009 11:19 am

Ryan Maderak wrote:Don't think any instructions are necessary!

No instructions perhaps but perhaps for we not of the North American continent you will tell us what is/are "grangers"?

Best
Rogov
Next