Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.

Hebrew culinary translations

no avatar
User

Ari Miller

Rank

Cellar rat

Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:44 am

Hebrew culinary translations

by Ari Miller » Mon May 11, 2009 9:27 am

I'm curious as to how anyone, if this is an issue for anyone that is, find translations to Hebrew culinary language in English. For example, all the names of cuts of meat and fish and so on.

I know about morfix.co.il, but that has its limits. And, for someone in need of something more comprehensive, I'm curious if anything exists even.
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Re: Hebrew culinary translations

by Daniel Rogov » Wed May 13, 2009 2:35 pm

Ari, Hi....

From time to time someone comes out with a "complete" set of translations of culinary terms, usually from English, French, German and Italian, into Hebrew. That was done by the language academy (a total failure); by Reuven Grosovsky in 1990 with his admirable "Gastronomia" - a dictionary of such terms that although useful was replete with errors; at various times in part by Phyliss Glazer as well as by Wine and Gourmet and by Al Ha Shulchan magazines.

Alas, there remain eight different translations for "Saint Peter's fish"; nine for salami; sixteen for hamburger; twelve for Porterhouse Steak, and none whatsoever for asparagus.

As odd as it may sound, it seems that more than anyone, I have been responsible for the language of food and wine that is in currant usage in Israel. What makes that amusing is that Hebrew is far from my native tongue and, as often I introduce my lectures: "When I speak in Hebrew, I have no need to tell jokes as my Hebrew errors are quite amusing enough"

Best
Rogov