Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.

Israeli "street food"

no avatar
User

Jeff L

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:46 am

Israeli "street food"

by Jeff L » Thu May 14, 2009 4:09 pm

I am traveling to Israel with kids this summer. I enjoy restaurants but want to "experience" some of the local culture with street foods while wandering Jerusalem. I have heard of Machane Yehudah and ben yehudah street. Do you have suggestions for a real "Israeli experience"
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Re: Israeli "street food"

by Daniel Rogov » Thu May 14, 2009 5:52 pm

Jeff. Hi......

Among best experiences in Jerusalem are on Rehov Agrippas, just behind the Mahane Yehuda market where you will find Sima and the best me'urav Yerushalmi (Jerusalem mixed grill) in the known universe.

As to humous in its many variations, the very best places in the world are in the old city of Acre (Akko). Also some good places surrounding Jerusalem and in Jaffa.

As to felafel the two best since creation are in Haifa - Felafel HaZkanim (Felafel of the Old Men) and Felafal Michel (one across the street from the other)

With re shwarma, many of the very best are in Jaffa (not in the old city but on Rehov Yefet) (Avoid the chicken shwarma and stay entirely with lamb or mutton).

As to dining on Arab (that is to say primarily Syrian and Lebanese dishes), Haifa and the Upper Galilee are definitely "the places"

Let us know precisely where you will be and we can give better hints and further details. Also please let us know if you are restricted by the rules of kashrut. And realize that for every place I list, at least 800,000 others wil disagree, each naming his or her own favorite.

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff L

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:46 am

by Jeff L » Thu May 14, 2009 7:59 pm

We are kosher
Will be based in Jerusalem mostly
traveling to tel aviv
maybe you can suggest other day trips
no avatar
User

Jaicky T

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:45 am

by Jaicky T » Fri May 15, 2009 10:46 am

As Rogov mentions, on Agrippas which is where Machane Yehuda is you will find a number of "authentic" places. Sima's is outstanding, but you also have Stekiat Chazot, Stekiat Yerushalayim. Just remember, if you're looking for decor, these are not the places for it, but they have wonderful food.

There is Moshiko on Ben Yehuda with great falafel and shawarma.

Feel free to e mail me for more information. I have done multiple trip with and without kids, and have tried lots of stuff in Jerusalem from budget to upscale.