Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

The Good News: Lard is Good For Us

by Daniel Rogov » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:15 pm

Writing in Slate, Regina Schrambling offers some good evidence to the effect that despite common beliefs and fear, lard is actually good for us.

Only two minor goofs in the article that I can find: (a) When the author talks about making one's own lard at home and eating the cracklings (in Mexico known as chicharrones she forgets that the cracklings of chicken fat grebenes are even better; and (b) although she mentions that lard is anathema to vegetarians and Moslems who observe the laws of halal, she forgets that there is probably nothing more offensive to Jews who keep kashrut.

See the article at http://www.slate.com/id/2219314/

And just think of it – if lard is "good for us", bacon must be capable of absolute miracles!!!!

Best
Rogov
User

Matilda L

Rank

Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:48 am

Adelaide, South Australia

Re: The Good News: Lard is Good For Us

by Matilda L » Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:22 am

Beef drippings was the fat that everything was cooked in when I was a kid. People of my grandparents' generation used to go misty-eyed at the mention of bread and dripping.

I don't see me making a change to lard. I don't use much of any sort of fat in my cooking.
no avatar
User

Shel T

Rank

Durable Bon Vivant

Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:56 pm

20 miles from the nearest tsunami

by Shel T » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:37 pm

Have been keeping the light burning in the lard 'outcast' house for ages, LOL, nice to know am no longer in a tiny minority!
Nullum gratuitum prandium
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:26 pm

:lol: We have some Italian Lardo in the fridge!
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster