Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.

What is the Beefsteak That Most Beckons?

T-Bone
7%
Sirloin (Sinte in Hebrew)
4%
Porterhouse
7%
Entrecote
4%
Chateaubriand
No votes
Chuck steak
No votes
Filet Mignon
11%
Flank Steak
4%
Hanger Steak (onglet in French)
No votes
Rump steak
No votes
Rib eye steak
48%
Strip steak (Delmonico, NY Strip)
11%
Other (please specify)
4%
Sorry, I'm a vegetarian and don't eat steak
No votes

Total votes : 27
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

Re: Culinary Poll #35: Speaking of Steaks

by ChefJCarey » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:23 pm

However, am I the only person who abhors the taste of grass-fed beef? Ugh. It tastes like a completely different animal--one with which I am not familiar!

That's very broad statement. What kind of cattle? Where were they raised? At what age were they slaughtered? When was it slaughtered? What were they fed during the months there was no grass? Which cuts? Were they fed any supplemental feed?

I assure you I could serve you a grass-fed burger and you wouldn't have a clue that it was.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:05 pm

ChefJCarey wrote:
However, am I the only person who abhors the taste of grass-fed beef? Ugh. It tastes like a completely different animal--one with which I am not familiar!

That's very broad statement. What kind of cattle? Where were they raised? At what age were they slaughtered? When was it slaughtered? What were they fed during the months there was no grass? Which cuts? Were they fed any supplemental feed?

I assure you I could serve you a grass-fed burger and you wouldn't have a clue that it was.

Wow, I guess I didn't know that the grass feeding label was so complex. I'll have to pay more attention, but don't see myself buying it or ordering it if there is a corn-fed alternative.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:07 pm

by Dave R » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:50 pm

Carrie L. wrote: I'll have to pay more attention, but don't see myself buying it or ordering it if there is a corn-fed alternative.

Same here. I have had plenty of grass-fed beef in North America, South America and Europe. I'll take good ol' Midwest American, corn-fed beef.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:34 pm

My favorite is Kansas City strip steak and after that T-bone. I used to order medium-rare but now find myself preferring medium. Love with either steak sauce or herbed butter, sometimes bleu cheese.
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:43 pm

Agreed, a blend of bleu cheese and butter on a Kansas City or New York strip steak can be supercalifragalisticexpealidotious.

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Z Spigelman

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:26 am

Neve Tzuf, Israel

by Z Spigelman » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:15 am

My favorite is a medium Sinte (Sirloin) but very few kosher restaurants here in Israel get it right.
At Eldad V'zehu in Yerushalayim and Bistro 56 in Herzeliya - it is always a perfect medium.
Recently up north, ordered it 2 nights in a row: at Havat Ha'Jilabun in the Golan Heights the medium turned into well-done; while at Bayit BaGalil it was a perfect medium.
no avatar
User

Ari Miller

Rank

Cellar rat

Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:44 am

by Ari Miller » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:10 pm

I voted t-bone, but I think cause that's what I had most recently. At NG, in Neve Tzedek, cooked with, if I remember correctly, an IPA, courtesy of Dancing Camel. It was, as should be, nicely charred on the outside. And, as the truest of cliches continues, nicely rare on the inside. About as big as my head (I'm not a freak or anything but I do have a well sized afro) there was enough to share with two female dining partners – my mom and my lady friend (not sure if this makes me sexist but it does make me human and heterosexual) and then bring some home for leftovers. What a pleasure. And my dog thought so too. After I had my go at the huge, glorious bone, I gave her all that was left. Makes me wish I was a dog. I get the feeling I'm missing the best part. I mean, I don't eat steak or bone like that. Lying on the ground, wrap around smile, ignorant of anything and everything that occurs in my environment while grabbing all animal components between my two hands, eating, as if the brown shirts were just a couple doors away, yet intent on enjoying my portion as if it was all that was left for my existence.

So, yeah, t-bone.
Previous