Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.

PARIS

no avatar
User

Francois de Melogue

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:26 am

Anderson Valley, Northern California

PARIS

by Francois de Melogue » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:34 pm

Good Afternoon from the golden shores of bankrupt California!

Lisa and I are going to Paris for two days in September... If you could eat at ony one restaurant in Paris for dinner which would it be and why... Also, anyone know of an inexpensive hotel in Paris for one night...

other highlights of this trip will be eating at Troisgros and my cousin's wedding party up in the French Alps... I think he is planning on spit roasting an entire cow! I also look forward to visiting family in Marseille and Aix!!!

Thanks in advance

Grimod

p.s. I had thought about going to either working class restaurants that I used to like: le Vielle Grille and/or Jambon de Bayonne or going to La TOur d'Argent... I always love La Tour even though I make far beter pressed duck. Their foie gras des trois emperor is amazing as is their wine list. But, they are closed on mondays and that is when I will be there! PS - no sandwiches... I do not eat them often here and I certainly am not travelling there to eat them!

also any cheese shops and chocolate shops that are favorites!!!
Grimod
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Re: PARIS

by Daniel Rogov » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:01 pm

Francois, Hi.....

Despite whatever is happening, Paris remains a moveable feast!

As to chocolatieres, my favorite of the moment is Pierre Hermé: 72 Rue Bonaparte (not sure whether Paris V or VI, but for sure the Metro St-Germain des Pres

For hotels consider L'Hotel, at 13 rue des Beaux Arts, also in the Latin quarter. What the heck, if it was good enough for Oscar Wilde to die in, it's good enough for me to sleep in. And somehow its a hotel that simultaneously calls to mind Paris of the 1930's and the late 1960's.

As to one single place at which to dine in Paris, depends on your mood. Three suggestions:

Guy Savoy: 18 rue Troyon 75017 Tel : 33 01 43 80 40 61 (because the food, service and ambiance are superb)

Brasserie Lippl151, Boulevard St Germain Paris 75006 Tel :33 01 45 48 53 91 (because merely sitting there will make you think kindly of Hemingway and the Fitzgeralds)

Closerie des Lilas, 171 Blvd Montparnasse, Paris 75006 Tel: 33 01 40 51 34 50 (because I am a helpless romantic and remember evenings there with several beautiful women that I loved and still love dearly)
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:18 am

I've stayed here and it was very pleasant. Man,it's had a major face lift, though. I think I liked it better before.

http://www.parisalbehotel.com/index.html
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Bobby S

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:08 am

by Bobby S » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:05 am

From what I hear, there are plenty of McDonald's outlets over there if you get a hankering for a Big Mac with fries and a Coke.
no avatar
User

Francois de Melogue

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:26 am

Anderson Valley, Northern California

by Francois de Melogue » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:43 pm

thanks everyone!!!
Grimod
User

Jacques Levy

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:00 pm

NY

by Jacques Levy » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:09 am

Your namesake, Francois Simon, the food critic of Le Figaro writes a wonderful blog called "Simon Says" at http://francoissimon.typepad.fr/

In it he reviews restaurants in Paris and on his travels (he was in NYC last week). I'm sure you'll find something you like in his recommendations.
Best Regards

Jacques