Hedonists Unite: We Have Nothing To Lose but Our Chains

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.

Hedonists Unite: We Have Nothing To Lose but Our Chains

Postby Daniel Rogov » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:48 pm

A link sent to me by one of my most faithful correspondents, this one about the new dish being offered at KFC (Kentucky Fried Chicken). The dish known as The Double Down is a sandwich but instead of being enclosed in bread is made by putting slices of cheese and bacon between two deep fried chicken schnitzels.

The world is up in arms because depending on whom one believes there are between 540 and 1380 calories per portion and the dish contains generous amounts of fat, cholesterol and salt (32 gr fat and 1,380 milligrams of sodium). Simply stated, people are up in arms claiming that this stuff is going to destroy our health if not out-and-out kill us. Well, I have news for us…. those people complaining are curmudgeons far worse than I and if the truth be told I am all for this dish.

True, this should not be part of an not on an everyday or two-a-day diet, but occasionally, what in the world is wrong with it? After all, the Double Down is no more or less than a version of a world-renowned gourmet dish known as the Cordon bleu. I think of the many times I have ordered this dish in fine restaurants, eagerly anticipating cutting into the center of this sandwich without bread and for the melted piping hot cheese to come running out to make its own sauce, of the rich combination of flavors of fine (hopefully free-range white chicken breasts), the rich flavors of the cheese, ham and chicken that come together so beautifully and indeed, the generously salty aspect added by both the ham and the cheese. The two best versions that I recall were those served at the Rathskeller in Heidelberg and at the Officers Club at the Rhine-am-Main officers' club.

True, the KFC version is the fast-food interpretation of the dish. I have no problem at all with that.

Among the comments of the true curmudgeons:
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/comment ... uying.html
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-susan- ... 36627.html
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/ ... eiled.html

As for me, on my next visit to the USA I definitely intend to try one.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Re: Hedonists Unite: We Have Nothing To Lose but Our Chains

Postby Jeff Grossman/NYC » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:12 pm

What was the portion size / weight of the Cordon Bleu plates you ordered?
Jeff Grossman/NYC
That 'pumpkin' guy

Postby Daniel Rogov » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:53 pm

Jeff, Hi....

Never weighed one. I would guess though that it was at least 1.5 times the size of the KFC version (the chicken thinner but much longer and broader after pounding, a great deal of cheese, one large, moderately thin slice of fine fatty Tuscan ham or in some cases bacon).

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Mike Filigenzi » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:33 pm

As one who has made, known, and loved Mario Batali's cotechino sausage with savory custard, I can hardly complain about KFC putting together something like this.

"An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a very narrow field" - Niels Bohr
Mike Filigenzi
Known for his fashionable hair

Postby Susan B » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:03 am

We drink only non-fat milk, never (almost) butter our bread, drink our coffee black and cook the leanest meat we can, BUT I too think this KFC dish should be tasted. Of course, though I have lived in this county for nearly three years, I do not know where a KFC is located. KFC is not one of those places I haunt.
Susan B
Ultra geek

Postby Jacques Levy » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:46 pm

Enjoy Rogov! Frankly, this food makes me sick, yes even more than chicken cordon bleu (which is probably also waaay to rich for me), but hey, as long as you don't vomit next to me after eating it....
Best Regards

Jacques
Jacques Levy
Ultra geek

Postby Charlie Dawg » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:22 pm

It sounds awesome. I wish I cuold have some.
You are what you eat.
Charlie Dawg
Ultra geek

Postby David H » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:19 pm

KFC has an imitator for vegetarians:
http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?id=7411450&section=news/bizarre
Actually, I might even try one of these if given the chance and am very hungry.
Birthdays are nature’s way of telling us to eat more cake. --
Anon.
David H
Wine geek

Postby Sherry J » Sat May 01, 2010 6:46 pm

Jacques Levy wrote:...Frankly, this food makes me sick, yes even more than chicken cordon bleu (which is probably also waaay to rich for me), but hey, as long as you don't vomit next to me after eating it....

Is there some sort of test for getting into the hedonist club? Because it seems like this might be a really good one (test, I mean). I for one, would definitely make the club if this was the initiation!

http://indianapolis-indiana.funcityfind ... staurants/
Sherry J
Just got here

Postby Daniel Rogov » Sat May 01, 2010 7:43 pm

Sherry, Hello and Welcome to the Forum....

Apologies but one question. The link you give is obviously a commercial one. Are you connected with that site?

Thanks and Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Sherry J » Tue May 04, 2010 6:40 pm

Daniel Rogov wrote:Sherry, Hello and Welcome to the Forum....

Apologies but one question. The link you give is obviously a commercial one. Are you connected with that site?

Thanks and Best
Rogov

Hi Daniel, and thanks for the welcome.

Yes I am connected. I'm a writer and responsible for all of the food and restaurant articles on the site. I find that visiting forums related to restaurants and food helps me enormously in my work.

BTW there are other news sites on here. Here is another post on the same page that has commercial links to a news site like ours. The http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-susan- ... 36627.html is simply a news site like ours. And it's one of yours, right? :)
Sherry J
Just got here

Postby Daniel Rogov » Tue May 04, 2010 7:01 pm

Sherry, Hi.....

We may be talking at cross-purposes here:

(a) When I post links they are to sites that are not my own (or if they are, I state that clearly) and do so for the interest of our members and readers and not to promote a site. Nor do I accept any kind of advertising whatever.

(b) I think we may be defining "news" sites differently. The restaurant reviews on news sites are written from the critical point of view. Those on commercial sites are written as "puff pieces". On your own site for example, I failed to see any negative reviews. A bit more than coincidence I suspect? True, news sites (like newspapers) carry advertisements but any ethical site or newspaper clearly states that those are either paid for or otherwise supported, thus making a clear distinction between editorial and advertising policies.

Let us assume, however, that we are both people of good will, shake cyber-hands and go from here.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby ChefJCarey » Tue May 04, 2010 10:16 pm

Back to the "sandwich" - yeah, I'd give it a shot.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
ChefJCarey
Pastafarian

Postby Sherry J » Thu May 27, 2010 2:20 pm

Daniel Rogov wrote:Sherry, Hi.....

On your own site for example, I failed to see any negative reviews. A bit more than coincidence I suspect?
Let us assume, however, that we are both people of good will, shake cyber-hands and go from here.

Best
Rogov

Hi Daniel,
I do post negative reviews and comments... you have to go to the "comments" page, like http://indianapolis-indiana.funcityfind ... indiana/2/ ... I do try not to be overly critical and hurt people's feelings.

Sorry, did not mean to hijack the thread... Sherry and Daniel shake cyber hands
Sherry J
Just got here

Postby Daniel Rogov » Thu May 27, 2010 2:26 pm

Sherrry, Hi....

I think we do not so much shake hands as tap our gloves before our boxing match. Your site is a purely commercial one, meant entirely to attract people to the restaurants about which you post. After all, (quoting from your own site) the review of Ambrosia Restaurant can hardly be taken as negative:

For a special night out in a fine Indianapolis restaurant, you can’t go wrong with Ambrosia Restaurant in Indianapolis, Indiana’s neighborhood called Broad Ripple Village. Ambrosia Restaurant customer reviews are almost invariably superlative, as you can see below. If you would like more detail, just click the restaurant comment’s link.

It is indeed your privilege in every to have such a (profit-making) internet site. On the other hand, anyone perceiving these as objective reviews would be possesed of the mental agility of a three year old mentally retarded chimpanzee.

As to shaking hands or tapping gloves, I will admit that I find boxing a rather primitive outlet for our emotions.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Bobby S » Sat May 29, 2010 11:19 am

Rogov, As a member of the three year old retarded monkey community, I find your comments insulting and racist.
Bobby S
Wine geek

Postby Daniel Rogov » Sat May 29, 2010 12:46 pm

Bobby, Hi....

The remark was made to imply insult, but certainly not to chimpanzees of any age or mental status. Aside from which, as our friend Edward G. Robinson might say: "Don't kid me, baby. You're a lot older than three!" 8)

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Robert Reynolds » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:48 pm

Rogov, if you make it to Joseph's Willamette Adventure in August, you, he and I can all try this together.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
Robert Reynolds
1000th member!

Return to Israeli and Kosher Culinary Corner