Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.
no avatar
User

Jeff L

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:46 am

Emeril Lagase bananna cream pie

by Jeff L » Tue May 04, 2010 11:15 am

In anticipation of the upcoming Jewish Holiday of Shavuot I wonder if anyone has ideas regarding a fabulous dessert. A few years back I made the famous Emeril's Bananna cream pie (which took me 2 days). It was fantastic but when I added up the calorie content and sliced the pie into 10 pieces, it was over 1000 calories a slice. Any ideas how to make this tasty but less of a diet killer?
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:52 am

Sapulpa, OK

Re: Emeril Lagase bananna cream pie

by Robert Reynolds » Wed May 05, 2010 12:01 am

Skip the heavy cream, for starters, or reduce it drastically. It is possible to make a cream pie filling using 2% milk, although whole mile works a little better. But it's been a few years since I made one, and it came from Southern Living.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Re: Emeril Lagase bananna cream pie

by Daniel Rogov » Wed May 05, 2010 3:50 am

Changes to the recipe will yield something edible but the question remains as to why anyone would want to eat it. With all due respect, if banana cream pie is going to taste like banana cream pie it is going to be loaded with caolories. The best way to cut the calories in half is to eat only half a slice.

Best
Rogov