Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.

Saucisson Sec Recipe Request

no avatar
User

Gamliel K

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:40 pm

Silver Spring, MD

Saucisson Sec Recipe Request

by Gamliel K » Tue May 04, 2010 5:58 pm

Dear All,

I would like to try my hand at making a homemade Saucisson Sec, (or something similar since I can't use pork for religious reasons.)

First of all does anyone have a good recipe for this type of sausage? Also I am open to suggestions as to the type of meat I should use. I was thinking perhaps ground lamb shoulder? Also, I will be using artificial salami casings. Does anyone have experience/advice in using such casings?

Thanks in advance,
Gamliel
no avatar
User

Anthony Silverbrow

Rank

Wine geek

Thu May 14, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Saucisson Sec Recipe Request

by Anthony Silverbrow » Thu May 06, 2010 1:01 pm

I wouldn't try to emulate something non-kosher, or at least something that is pork based, you won't be able to.

I've made kosher sausages in the past using beef shoulder and fat and it worked out pretty well. As for casings I used Devro, but you need to buy them in bulk. I was intrigued by a story today in Tablet in which they reference kosher lamb intestines available for sale in France . Was planning on trying to source them, if anyone's got any insight I'd be grateful.
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Thu May 06, 2010 1:39 pm

Indeed there is no contradiction between the laws of kashrut and the production of fine sausages of many kinds. My only problem is that converting a sausage that is by definition based on fatty pork into something made of beef or lamb seems rather a waste of time and energy. Reminds me too much of what was written on another thread about some company producing kosher sausages based on fish "in the taste of pork". And believe me, I have watched the moon for many years and have yet to see either a cow or a pig fly over and/or around that celestial body.

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Gamliel K

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:40 pm

Silver Spring, MD

by Gamliel K » Thu May 06, 2010 2:45 pm

Anthony,

Thank you for the advice. i may give beef shoulder a try. Thankfully my local butcher makes his own sausages, and I can buy the casings from him.

Rogov,

I know whatever I produce, it won't be a Saucisson Sec. That said using simular seasonings and technique should, I hope, produce somthing nice, albeit rather different in flavor. The reason I suggested making somthing based on Saucisson Sec is because the recipe seemed somewhat easier than those I have seen for Italian salamis, and I thought that would make it a good jumping-off point.

I'd still be greatful for any additional advice.

Thanks,
Gamliel