Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.
no avatar
User

Trevor F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:48 pm

London

Baranes kosher grill restaurant, Zurich

by Trevor F » Sat May 08, 2010 7:27 pm

Years ago there was a kosher meat restaurant in the Jewish Community Centre in Zurich which I reviewed on the erstwhile Rogov website in 2005. In 2009 a new restaurant, Baranes, opened not far away near the Wiedikon station. The Community centre is closed for refurbishment and I don't know what has happened to the restaurant there.

Baranes looks like any Swiss restaurant from the outside. I went on a cool and drizzly evening last week so couldn't sit outside. The interior is quite pleasant and reminded me vaguely of Naomi Grill in Madrid. Only a few tables were taken and I was shown to a small table by the stairs to the downstairs toilet. I didn't fancy that and so I was moved without a problem to another table. I had a plate of processed gefilte fish to start with red meerrettich, or horseradish, followed by an entrecote steak and chips. The kosher meat in Switzerland is imported as shehita ( ritual method of slaughter ) is not allowed, and hasn't been since 1893, apart from poultry. It was all quite adequate and I didn't leave still feeling hungry but the food was the same as it was in the restaurant in the community centre. Must be the same chef. With a beer the bill came to CHF 55, about right for Swiss restaurants generally, so it was no more expensive than an equivalent non-kosher restaurant.

It's hardly spectacular but if you want a kosher meat meal in Zurich it's fine. I would upgrade my opinion of London kosher restaurants to more than adequate in comparison to Zurich but then kosher meat in London is locally sourced or from Ireland as the case may be.

http://baranes-grill.ch/ at 21 Zurlindenstrasse