Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.
no avatar
User

Tim OL

Simple salads for the warm weather

by Tim OL » Mon May 10, 2010 7:48 pm

Moving away for a moment from the typical green lettuce based salads, what type of salads do you prefer that are quick and simple to prepare and that would be perfect for a light salad for the deck in the fast approaching warm weather.

I was looking at a Waldorf recipe last week and it seemed to be on the bland side so I put together what I thought would work a little better. I used chopped fresh dates, golden raisins, bananas, toasted macadamia nuts and kiwi on a piece of lettuce and topped it with some mandarin oranges. The dressing was 1 part mayo to 2 parts lemon yogurt.

Another salad I like is a simple cornbread salad... quite tasty really. That brings up a second part to this post. How often do you make cornbread these days and if at all, what kind of cornbread. I will usually make a southern type for this salad but I also make a honey cornbread which works just as well. A couple of days ago I made Dean Fearing's recipe which has a ton of ingredients in it. It was different but actually not bad at all. A lot of prep work though for a cornbread recipe.

Although peas are technically a vegetable, I guess, I use them quite often in or as a salad. There is a terrific edamame pea mash recipe from Roy's fusion cookbook that I like to make to go with seared sea scallops... perfect for a warm summer night on the deck with a nice bottle of white wine.

A crab remick salad is nice but for some reason I haven't made it for awhile. I am still looking for that really good shrimp salad. I also like peaches poached in Zinfandel with a yogurt topping but that may be moving out of the salad area a bit.

Any suggestions would help turn a summer period around where I far to often revert to Plan B (green lettuce salads).

Tim