Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.

Dried yoghurt and wheat

User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:55 pm

Great Southern Land

Dried yoghurt and wheat

by Celia » Wed May 26, 2010 5:23 pm

When I was last at our local Lebanese bakery, I saw plastic bags of dried yoghurt and wheat - apparently a breakfast staple. The surly shop owner told me it was cooked like a porridge. Does anyone know what this might be called, or how it's cooked? I'd never seen anything like it and was fascinated, but I couldn't get any more information out of the grumpy proprietor! :)

Thanks, Celia
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Re: Dried yoghurt and wheat

by Daniel Rogov » Wed May 26, 2010 6:22 pm

Celia, Hi...

I first encountered this mixture in Turkey where it is known as tarhana or tarkhina. Later I found it in Greece and eventually in Israel, Lebanon and Egypt. The mixture is also popular in Iraq, Iran and the Gulf Emirates. Humorous as it may sound the combination is probably the only true culinary contribution of Albania where seems to have originated in the 7th or 8th century.

I've tasted it dry (I taste almost all mixed ingredients in their dry form) and find it a lovely street-snack and will sometimes purchase a small bag when in the shuk in Tel Aviv. For some reason have never brought it home, probably in the belief that its varioius preparations are best done by the Arab and Bedouin cooks of the area.

You'll find some information on Wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarhana

Best
Rogov
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Wed May 26, 2010 6:59 pm

Rogov, I knew you'd know. :) Thank you! I'll try and pick up a bag and have a play...
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Thu May 27, 2010 3:03 am

Rogov, I asked when I picked up a bag today, and the Lebanese call it "Kishk". Similar to the tarhana you mention, but much more finely ground. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kashk

Now to figure out what to do with it.. :)

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Thu May 27, 2010 5:54 am

Celia, Hi.....

A lesson in how real-life politics, social tradition and religion intertwine in all subjects, even in every day living, in the Middle East. In Lebanon Maronite Christians and Shi'ite Moslems call it kishkwhile Sunni Moslems and Bedouins use the term tarhana and, in some cases even tarchana (with the hard ch). One of the reasons I often refer to our region as "Disneyland Middle-East"

Best
Rogov
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Thu May 27, 2010 8:26 am

Rogov, thanks! Now...can you or anyone else tell me how to cook it please? :)

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Thu May 27, 2010 9:32 am

Celia wrote:Rogov, thanks! Now...can you or anyone else tell me how to cook it please? :)

Not I. 8)

Best
Rogov