Portobello burgers? Not for me, thank you.

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.

Portobello burgers? Not for me, thank you.

Postby Daniel Rogov » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:50 pm

For reasons not eminently clear at first, I was indundated today with emails from correspondents who wanted to know what I thought of burgers made from Portobello mushrooms. It took a bit of hunting until I realized that the article linked to below was appearing on internet screens from California to Timbuktu*.

I read the article and, like the good queen before me, I was not amused. Nor was my appetite especially tickled. Don't get me wrong, please, for I have nothing against Portobello mushrooms. I'm even old enough to remember before they became fashionable and were referred to as "beefsteak mushrooms". Chop them, sauté them with lots of onions, salt and pepper and they're just fine in omelets; chop and sauté them and add them to a spicy tomato-based sauce and they're fine with pasta. Heck, I'm even for grilled, sliced and generously peppered Portobello mushrooms alongside my steak and potato puree. But in place of burgers? Sheesh….tofu burgers are bad enough. Portobello burgers?

The article (photos and all) can be seen at http://doubletherecipe.wordpress.com/20 ... -challenge Comments in agreement or disagreement will be most welcome. As for me, I will take an oath, even in a court of law, that nothing beats a fine all beef hamburger. Well, except of course topping that burger with cheese, bacon, sliced onions and complimenting all of that thinly sliced tomatoes and, if you like, pickled cucumbers. As to the choice of no sauce, aioli, mayonnaise, ketchup, mustard, barbecue sauce or whatever and in whatever combination, entirely up to you.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Re: Portobello burgers? Not for me, thank you.

Postby Shlomo R » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:17 am

I guess I have to disagree. At most of my barbecues, you can find a plate of portobello mushroom caps that were marinated in a simple pre-bottled "italian" dressing and then grilled. Most of my guests slice them up and eat them from their plates, I almost always put one in a bun and eat it in fashion similar to a burger. Partly I eat it that way because I am still at the grill cooking, and it's easier to eat it that way than with a knife and fork.

Make no mistake - there are more beef burgers at my barbecues than portobello mushrooms. And I do eat beef burgers too. I serve the portobellos as a tasty alternative dish.
http://www.chailifeline.org/events/Bike ... rosenzweig - cycling 175 miles to raise money for summer camp for kids with cancer - doing it again in 2014!
Shlomo R
Ultra geek

Postby Charlie Dawg » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:03 pm

Personally I would not mind a portabello mushroom burger ... well as a side for an original beef burger.
You are what you eat.
Charlie Dawg
Ultra geek

Postby Shlomo R » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:06 pm

Charlie Dawg wrote:Personally I would not mind a portabello mushroom burger ... well as a side for an original beef burger.

And that's exactly how I serve them.
http://www.chailifeline.org/events/Bike ... rosenzweig - cycling 175 miles to raise money for summer camp for kids with cancer - doing it again in 2014!
Shlomo R
Ultra geek

Return to Israeli and Kosher Culinary Corner