Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

15 Fruits You've Probably Never Heard Of

by Daniel Rogov » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:38 pm

Sent to me by one of my faithful correspondents. Oddly enough I've actually tasted 9 of the fifteen fruits in question.
Worth perusing at http://www.mnn.com/food/healthy-eating- ... ink-exotic

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Michael P

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:23 pm

Re: 15 Fruits You've Probably Never Heard Of

by Michael P » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:01 pm

Cool. I have had six of these. The outside of the Rambutan was frightening, although the Durian looks pretty intense too.
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:37 pm

With the Durian, only if you manage to get past the stink all is well. Believe me, until you've smelled a Durian you have not smelled anything!!!

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Scott Lancer

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:53 pm

Rochester, NY

by Scott Lancer » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:22 am

I am also at 6, and my favorites among those are the cherimoya and mangosteen. Both offer a physical challenge greater than does a banana, but are most assuredly worth it.

Of those I have yet to try, the monstera deliciosa is particularly magnetic, and the ackee is somewhat terribly frightening.

Also, I have heard of the stink of durian, rather similar to brettanomyces, if I recall correctly. And I have also forgotten what it is that will remove the smell form your hands.
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:38 am

Scott, Hi....

Two ways to remove almost any scent from your hands -

(a) Take a slice of fresh mango, crush it in your hands and "wash" as you woud soap
(b) Sprinkle your hands generously with lemon salt, add a few drops of water to dampen and then was as usual

Best
Rogov
User

Matilda L

Rank

Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:48 am

Adelaide, South Australia

by Matilda L » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:21 am

I've had a few of these. Cherimoya, pepino, rambutan, mangosteen. I've had durian, and durian icecream, in Singapore. The fruit is a weird experience, with your nose saying "pew!!!" and your mouth saying "delicious!". The ice cream doesn't have the stink ... it also is quite a mild version of the flavour, or the one I tried was.

There's a fruit called lucuma that you find in Peru and Ecuador - a nice caramel-maple flavour. Popular for making ice cream. Lovely.