Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

There May Still Be Hope for Spain

by Daniel Rogov » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:02 pm

Comes the revolution, comrades*..... Sent to me by my most faithful of correspondents, an article in Spiked about the great many Spaniards (smokers and non-smokers alike) who find the new anti-smoking laws offensive.

See the piece at http://www.spiked-online.com/index.php/ ... cle/10097/

Best
Rogov

*As to revolutions in general, and to add a humorous note to keep things in at least relative perspective, I am reminded of the dialogue between two Russians, the first of whom says "Comes the revolution, comrade and we shall drink blood and borscht". And the second, rather timidly replies, "But comrade, I don't like borscht".
User

David H

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:24 am

Urim, Israel

Re: There May Still Be Hope for Spain

by David H » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:28 am

The version I remember from my childhood is: "Comes the revolution, we'll all have strawberries and cream in the winter!"
"But I don't like strawberries and cream!"
"Comes the revolution, comrade, you'll have strawberries and cream in the winter AND LIKE IT!"
Birthdays are nature’s way of telling us to eat more cake. --
Anon.
no avatar
User

Trevor F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:48 pm

London

by Trevor F » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:19 pm

Daniel Rogov wrote:the great many Spaniards (smokers and non-smokers alike) who find the new anti-smoking laws offensive.

The great many ?? I didn't read that.

I suspect that the great many positively welcome further restrictions on public smoking instead of returning to a 1950s nostalgic blue haze ambience with nicotine-stained curtains and smelly clothes, all justified under the cloak of civil liberties. Alternatively they could just quad or quintuple the price of a packet of cigarettes.
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:33 pm

Trevor, Hi...

It pains me to introduce a bit of logic into your thoroughly emotional argument but did you bother to read the piece at
http://articles.sfgate.com/2003-05-16/n ... ing-spouse - the study suggesting that passive smoking may not be quite as bad for people as has been thought.

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Trevor F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:48 pm

London

by Trevor F » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:37 pm

I do feel that the smokers promote the emotional argument rather than the other way round. As for passive smoking a lot of people object to tobacco smoke irrespective of whether or not it is harmful.
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:46 pm

Trevor, Hi..

I've not done any clinical studies on this so what comes is entirely from my own experience. Indeed, I have seen smokers who insist on smoking in all of the wrong place and at all of the wrong times. Those people are considered rude by non-smokers and smokers alike. What I have seen is that most of the brouhaha about smoking though comes from non-smokers who, even in outdoor areas or areas especially set aside for smokers will drop nasty comments and insults rather freely.

Smokers tend in my experience not to be overly emotional about the issue. In fact, we generally joke about it rather casually as we stand out-of-doors trying to keep warm or dry while we sneak in a few permitted puffs. I have tried to watch this scene rather carefully, not only as it impacts on me but how it impacts on the public. After all, I am a critic and such reactions are important.

Most amusing personal experience came about one day not too long ago on walking into the office of my eye doctor. I had tossed my cigarette aside several minutes before entering. As I approached the receptionist one of the others in the waiting room called out, in a tone of horror that I would have reserved had a zombie come to eat me, "Oh my god..he's been smoking". I ignored her and she continued: "You should leave your jacket outside. It stinks of cigarettes". My response was quite quiet but quite audible: "Madame, if you're willing to get naked here and now, so am I".
no avatar
User

Shlomo R

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:49 am

by Shlomo R » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:00 am

Daniel Rogov wrote:Most amusing personal experience came about one day not too long ago on walking into the office of my eye doctor. I had tossed my cigarette aside several minutes before entering. As I approached the receptionist one of the others in the waiting room called out, in a tone of horror that I would have reserved had a zombie come to eat me, "Oh my god..he's been smoking". I ignored her and she continued: "You should leave your jacket outside. It stinks of cigarettes". My response was quite quiet but quite audible: "Madame, if you're willing to get naked here and now, so am I".

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
http://www.chailifeline.org/events/Bike ... rosenzweig - cycling 175 miles to raise money for summer camp for kids with cancer - doing it again in 2014!