Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.

Ingredient Hunt

no avatar
User

Daniel Y

Rank

Cellar rat

Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Ingredient Hunt

by Daniel Y » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:33 am

Following on from a previous post on smoked goose breast, I would love to do some cooking with chinese black bean sauce and chinese rice wine but no idea where to get these. Similarly, I cannot find lemon grass here.\
Any ideas for Tel Aviv or Jerusalem areas?
Thanks!
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Re: Ingredient Hunt

by Daniel Rogov » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:52 pm

Fine Chinese, Japanese and Thai ingredient at "The Chinese Grocery Shop" (HaMakolet HaSinit) at the back end of the Carmel Market (Shuk haCarmel) in Tel Aviv. The market is easy to find - just ask at any stand in the market and they will point the way.

As to lemon grass,no problem at all -found in abundance at many natural food shops, greengrocers and certainly in the shuk. Just ask for limonit.

And, should Indian food be among your passions, worth making the trip to the city of Ramle where you will find just about anything your hear desires. Also in Ramle great humous and jachnoon joints.

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Richard Tasgal

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:27 am

Beer-Sheva, Israel

by Richard Tasgal » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:52 am

I've bought this black bean sauce
http://www.ewi.co.il/product/?pid=278
in Beer-Sheva (in a spice store and in a health food store). I'm not sure which places carry it in Tel Aviv or Jerusalem. The importer, East & West, has contact details on the web site.

Another company, IMO (http://www.imo.co.il/), imports rice wine (among other Far East products). A friend of mine has bought things from them directly from their warehouse, which is in Moshav Magshimim (close to Lod). The web site has contact details.
no avatar
User

Daniel Y

Rank

Cellar rat

Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:09 pm

by Daniel Y » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:10 am

Thanks!
I have another question.
I keep strict kashrut and love cooking Indian food.
What is the best non-dairy substitute for yoghurt in meat based curries in people's opinions?
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:14 am

Daniel, Hi...

I would suggest a mixture of 50% coconut milk and 50% soya milk. Be careful though not to add these until 10-12 minutes before the dish is ready and then on a very low heat. Also consider compensating somewhat with additional herbs such as lemon grass as the combination will add a sweetness that may not be entirely wanted.

Best
Rogov
User

Mike_F

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:56 pm

Rehovot, Israel

by Mike_F » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:58 am

We use canned coconut milk as a replacement for dairy products for both Indian and other types of cuisine , added as required for regular dairy in the original recipes, and have never had any problems with unwanted sweetness. Never tried mixes with soya, and in fact have also not tried coconut fluids directly from a coconut...
Of course we must be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.”
Richard Dawkins