Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.

ISO sweetbreads recipe

User

Charlie Dawg

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:34 pm

ISO sweetbreads recipe

by Charlie Dawg » Thu May 26, 2011 2:16 pm

Hi, friend of mine asked me for the sweetbreads recipe. I have never cooked it. I searched the board befo posting and there were quite few references to sweetbreads, but no recipe per se. Does anybody have a TT recipe for it? Please help. thank you in advance.

P.S. on a completely separate issue, how do I change my password to log into the forum?
You are what you eat.
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Re: ISO sweetbreads recipe

by Daniel Rogov » Thu May 26, 2011 3:21 pm

Charlie, Hi...

Sweetbread, or as the French call them ris de veau are easily suited to kashrut. One of the simplest but best offerings is sweetbreads (cleaned as described in the recipe below), fried in a mixture of 1/3 olive oil, 1/3 walnut oil and 1/3 clarified parve margarine, and then finished with a lemony sauce (can thicken that if desired with a bit of flour whisked into the sauce.

My own favorite dish based on sweetbreads is not kosher because of the use of butter and sweet cream. I suspect that one can adjust this for kashrut but I leave that to you.

Best
Rogov

Ris de Veau Toulousaine

For the sweetbreads:
1/2 kilo calves sweetbreads about 2 cups chicken stock 3 Tbsp. butter For the Allemande sauce:
3 cups chicken or veal stock 3 Tbsp. butter 3 Tbsp. flour pinch of nutmeg salt and pepper to taste
2 Tbsp. sweet cream
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 egg yolk

Prepare the sweetbreads by soaking them in cold water until they turn white. Drain and place the sweetbreads in a saucepan. Pour over cold chicken stock to cover and bring slowly to the boil, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon. At the first sign of boiling drain the sweetbreads and run under cold running water. Drain the sweetbreads, trim them and place them between two towels. Over all place a board with a heavy weight on the top and let stand for at least 45 minutes.

In a heavy skillet melt the butter and in this saute the sweetbreads until they are just beginning to brown on both sides. Remove the sweetbreads from the pan and set aside to keep warm. Set the skillet aside, without cleaning it, for later use in making the sauce.

Prepare the sauce by bringing 2 cups of the chicken stock to a boil in a clean saucepan. To the skillet in which the sweetbreads were sauteed add 2 Tablespoons of butter. Heat until the butter is melted, scraping the bottom of the skillet well and then whisk the flour and nutmeg into the butter and cook over a low flame until the mixture is foaming but not brown. Remove from the flame and let stand for 2- 3 minutes before whisking in the hot stock. Bring again to the boil, whisking continuously and season very lightly with salt and pepper. Reduce the flame and simmer until the sauce has begun to thicken, skimming the surface occasionally and whisking every minute or two.

Add the remaining chicken stock into the mixture, blend well and reduce by cooking on a medium heat until the sauce is reduced to 2/3 of its original volume. Be careful not to let the mixture boil.

Mix the egg yolk with the cream.

Remove the sauce from the flame and add the egg yolk and cream mixture. Stir until the sauce is thickened and immediately before serving stir in the lemon juice and remaining butter. To serve, divide the sweetbreads onto separate plates and over each portion spoon about 3 Tablespoons of the sauce. Serve the remaining sauce separately. Serves 6 as an appetizer. To serve 4 as a main course, garnish each portion with two whole chicken livers and three whole mushrooms, all of which have been sauteed in butter.

As to changing your password, I suggest writing to Robin Garr at wine@wineloverspage.com . Give him all of your data, including your sign in name, your email and your current password. I'm sure he'll get you in order.
User

Charlie Dawg

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:34 pm

Re: ISO sweetbreads recipe

by Charlie Dawg » Thu May 26, 2011 3:47 pm

Thank you very much. Sounds divine. I will pass this on.
You are what you eat.