Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.

Purim Seudah

no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

Purim Seudah

by Harry J » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:55 pm

B"SD
I have a dream to have a restaraunt.i started dreaming it a long long time ago. Once I had a sign on my wall @ work that read the key is not merely to eat but to dine.
Kind of the other side of eat all you can.Just some food for thought.Now that was corny. h
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

Re: Purim Seudah

by Gabriel Geller » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:28 am

Have no yet decided for the wine, however we'll make a chinese fondue and needless to say, hamantaschen.

Best,

GG
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

by Harry J » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:02 pm

so far looks like stuffed cabbage and chicken cutlets.do stop by if you can.h
no avatar
User

Pinchas L

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Pinchas L » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:06 pm

Hi Harry,

The meal will open with a muscato based cocktail, infused with honey and peaches, that will be followed by a fillet of sole as an appetizer and accompanied by an array of dips. After that comes a carrot and pepper soup and the traditional kreplech. As an entree we will have chicken shwarma with humus on the side as well as brick roast corned beef. There will be some additional side dishes that are yet to be determined. Finally, our dessert is a fusion of chocolate nougat, halva, and pistachio.

I haven't decided what wines to open, but some likely candidates are: Hagafen Cuvee de Noir 2007, Hagafen Rousanne 2010, Castel Gran Vin 2006, Four Gates Merlot 2005, Margaux Giscours 2001.

When I'm done with the meal I'll be immobilized, so that you have a better chance of stopping over at my place than me making it to yours.

Happy Purim,
-> Pinchas
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:00 pm

Shavua tov!

My business partner and myself were hosted by a very important client Thursday night (it's shushan Purim in Jerusalem, we celebrate the following day 15 of Adar) who threw out a huge party (7pm to 4 am !!!!) in his huge house with a professional DJ, plenty of French and American winelovers that enjoyed the many bottles of wine, all purchased at my shop. The meal was a huge barbecue featuring lamb ribs, spare and prime ribs, chicken wings, merguez sausages... As well, the traditional hummus, some cherry tomatoes, tabule salad, avocado salad and many other goodies. For me, that was the best Purim party EVER!

Tomorrow, I'm invited by one of my supplier at Fink's again here in Jerusalem, less than a week after the last time, we'll bring Dalton Petite Sirah '10 and if relevant, I'll post a 3rd review on the forum.

Best,

GG
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:32 pm

Gabriel Geller wrote:Have no yet decided for the wine, however we'll make a chinese fondue and needless to say, hamantaschen.

Best,

GG

And what is a chinese fondue?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:55 pm

Jenise wrote:And what is a chinese fondue?

Hi Jenise, there you go:

Chinese Beef Hot Pot - Fondue Chinoise

By Rhonda Parkinson, About.com Guide

A general rule when serving hot pot is to keep the broth bland and the dips spicy. The beauty of this combination is that it allows guests to season the food according to their own taste. On the other hand, there are no hard and fast rules. Feel free to adapt the basic broth recipe as desired.
Ingredients:

1 - 1 1/2 pounds flank steak
6 cups water
2 packages beef bouillion
2 tablespoons white wine
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 green onion
2 slices ginger
Optional - White Pepper, one turn of the pepper mill
Preparation:

Cut the beef into paper thin rectangular slices. (Freeze the beef for 1 -2 hours to make cutting easier, or ask the butcher to cut it for you).

Prepare the side dishes (see suggested list below), washing and draining the vegetables. If using in the fondue, cut the mushrooms into bite-sized pieces. Shred the lettuce or chop as desired.

Lay the beef and side dishes on separate platters on the table. Place the dipping sauces on the table in small individual bowls.

Make sure each guest has a complete place setting, including a dipping fork (color-coded if possible) and a small bowl for placing the cooked food.

Combine the water and beef bouillion and bring to a boil. Turn down to a simmer and add the white wine, soy sauce, green onion, and ginger. Transfer enough broth so that the fondue pot is approximately 2/3 - 3/4 full. (How much broth you need will depend on the size of the fondue pot).

Place the fondue pot on the burner, and keep it simmering throughout the meal. Keep the remaining broth warming on the stovetop.

Use dipping forks to cook the food in the hot broth, and then dip in the sauces as desired.

Suggested Side Dishes (to be enjoyed as is or cooked in the broth if desired):
baby corn
fresh mushrooms
bean thread noodles (cook them in the broth at the end of the meal)
lettuce
Mango Chutney
It's not traditional, but you can also serve crusty bread for dunking in the broth, or try this recipe for Ox-tongue Biscuits

Suggested Dips:
Soy sauce, Soy with Ginger Dressing, Sesame Paste, preserved bean curd, Hot Mustard, Chili Oil, Peanut Sauce, or your favorite hot sauce

http://chinesefood.about.com/od/foodfes ... inoise.htm
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:55 pm

Okay, so a lot like a Japanese shabu shabu. Thanks for the recipe!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:39 pm

My pleasure Jenise, anytime!