Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.
no avatar
User

Moshe F

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:17 pm

Queens, NY

New NYC Kosher Restaurants reviews?

by Moshe F » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:11 pm

The food side of this place has been quiet for a couple months... I noticed there are a few new places that opened in NYC and was wondering if anyone has tried them at all. I am getting a little tired of rotating through the usual, Mike's, Le Marais, Abigael's etc. especially since these places are very slow to update their menu.

La Brochette Steakhouse @ 340 Lexington Ave
Reserve Cut @ 40 Broad Street
Solo Chinese @ 550 Madison Ave.
Prime at the Bentley (not brand new but new-ish) @ 500 E. 62nd St.

Any thoughts on these? I browsed their menu/prices and it seems some kosher establishments are catering only to the 1%-ers...
no avatar
User

Yossie Horwitz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:27 pm

NYC

Re: New NYC Kosher Restaurants reviews?

by Yossie Horwitz » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:49 pm

Reserve Cut has some of the best steaks ever. period. Bentley is nice with good food and nice ambiance. Solo Chinese is well done but exceptionally overpriced for what it is. Haven't been to La Bouchet but heard it is pretty good. Mike's Bistro is moving soon to 54th between Park and Lex. Noi Due is awesome for dairy and well priced.
Sign up for my weekly newsletter on wines, wineries & other oenophilic goodies at http://www.yossiescorkboard.com
no avatar
User

Anthony Silverbrow

Rank

Wine geek

Thu May 14, 2009 3:09 pm

by Anthony Silverbrow » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:21 am

Just to revive this thread, has anyone been to Butterfish, the new sushi place owned by the PG group?

Also, if I had a choice between Le Marais or Mike's Place, what would the consensus be. I regularly eat at Prime Grill, but am keen to try somewhere new this time I'm in town. Thanks
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:49 pm

I've been to Le Marais countless times and it is always my go-to choice when in NYC. Have been to Mike's Bistro only once (in 2009) and liked it too.
no avatar
User

Mike BG

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:25 pm

Maale Adumim, Israel

by Mike BG » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:16 am

We have been to Mike's Bistro countless times. It never disappoints, although they recently moved to a new location and we were there a week after they moved and they seemed to be having some logistical problems. The food there is consistently excellent, and quite creative. If you are interested in cooking of any sort, Mike is usually around and loves to talk about his food ideas with guests! We have gone as a couple, and also with largish groups.

I tried Reserve Cut recently, and the quality of the steaks was amazing, although I was not all that struck with the rest of the menu.

We tried Le Marais once, a few years ago, and were not that excited by it.

If you are outside New York, we recently went to Nobo in Teaneck a few times. The chef there used to work for Mike's Bistro, and it shows. There are many "look alike" dishes - nothing wrong with that though, as they are all excellent and well presented. Quite a lot of original stuff as well. A little less expensive than Mike's but well worth visiting if you are in that area.