Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:20 pm

NJ

Zahav in Philadelphia -- a question

by Frank Deis » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:21 pm

I'm old enough to have worked my way through various cooking styles, French with Julia Child in the 70's, Tuscan/northern Italian in the 90's, Chinese and Indian here and there. Recently I have been discovering Israeli and middle eastern food largely through buying cookbooks and following the recipes. I have been on a kick following Yotam Ottolenghi, but recently I bought a copy of Michael Solomonov's cookbook "Zahav" which presents recipes from his restaurant of the same name in Philadelphia.

Solomonov is a young American Israeli, very enthusiastic about Israeli food, and yet he presents a contrast with Ottolenghi who is more of a British/European Israeli. I think of a typical Ottolenghi recipe as having 14 ingredients 6 of which are hard to find. The results are excellent but Solomonov's recipes are often simpler and the results are heartier. Maybe 5 ingredients, 2 of which are hard to find.

My question is -- has anyone here eaten at Zahav or heard of it? I am curious how someone with a thorough familiarity with Israeli food would respond to what M.S. is doing there. By the way every few recipes you come up with a dish from the Yemenite tradition, M.S. is very fond of Yemenite soups. I'm really enjoying cooking from this book and eating these Israeli foods!
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Zahav in Philadelphia -- a question

by Jenise » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:17 pm

Wow, three months and no responses? This forum hasn't been super-active without Rogov here to tend it, but even then I'm surprised.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Zahav in Philadelphia -- a question

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:00 pm

Jenise wrote:Wow, three months and no responses? This forum hasn't been super-active without Rogov here to tend it, but even then I'm surprised.

The wine section has a steady flow, but this section, not so much ... I think most of the regulars are in Israel, and probably more au courant with eateries in Jerusalem or Tel Aviv? What about it, guys?