This forum will be used as a read-only archive for older WTN posts and other archival material from The Wine Forum.
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:52 pm

Connecticut

WTN: 2000 Chateau Fombrauge (St. Emilion)

by David M. Bueker » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:40 pm

A little age can do amazing things. Fombrauge is one of the Magrez wines, and thus has been plastered with the new world stigma. Admittedly when this came it it was very rich, and I once even mistook it blind for a California wine. Well that's not going to happen anymore. This wine has evolved, not so much fully to a mature state, but it has rather shed a great deal of baby fat, absorbed some oak & gotten lean enough to reveal some more structure underneath its still notable fruit. The balance is good, and there's almost a mineral streak in the background. Very enjoyable stuff, especially considering I paid $20 on futures.
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 3:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

Re: WTN: 2000 Chateau Fombrauge (St. Emilion)

by Tim York » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:26 pm

I am wary of Magrez, particularly the woody whites, and hope that the rumours that he is purchasing Latour are untrue. This one sounds as if it is turning out OK.
Tim York
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:52 pm

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 2000 Chateau Fombrauge (St. Emilion)

by David M. Bueker » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:06 pm

I own exactly 2 bottles of white Bordeaux, but they are from the Thienpont stable.

Wood in Bordeaux is a blind spot for me. I don't seem to mind it.
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.