This forum will be used as a read-only archive for older recipe posts from The Forum Kitchen and other archival Kitchen posts.

RCP: Gingered Winter Squash in Parchment

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

RCP: Gingered Winter Squash in Parchment

by Jenise » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:32 pm

Bill Spohn's post on the success of his squash flans, and the pairing with riesling, remind me to re-posting a recipe from FLDG Classic which I also pair with riesling:

Date: 11-Oct-2002 19:22
Author: Jenise Email
Subject: RC: Gingered Winter Squash Roasted in Parchment
View Parent message

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This dish can be made in a casserole when being served as a main meal side dish, but when served as a single course, the aroma released to each diner from the just-opened parchment package is positively ethereal.

Serves four.

1 butternut squash, peeled and cut into 3/4" cubes, divided among:
4 sheets baking parchment (about 9 x 10 inches)

You should have a heaping half cup of squash per paper. Arrange the the squash in a line down the center, leave about an inch and a half at each end.

Mix together and drizzle over squash:

zest and juice of one orange
1 Tblsp grated fresh ginger
1 Tblsp melted butter
4 Tblsp whipping cream
4 tsp sugar
4 springs cilantro
salt and pepper to taste

Seal the packages by bringing the long edges up over the top of the squash and folding the two edges together, then making more narrow folds down to the level of the squash such that you've made a tube. Then fold each end as if you wrapping a parcel: left end folded on a diagonal toward the middle, right end folded same toward the middle, then the middle flap you've created rolled over in narrow folds toward the squash to seal. Place on a baking sheet, bake for 30 minutes at 350.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

Re: RCP: Gingered Winter Squash in Parchment

by Christina Georgina » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:52 pm

Thanks Jenise. Just harvested a large beauty butternut from the garden. About to harvest the first of the Cha Cha Green Kabocha squash and some Baby Pam Pumpkins so looking for some ideas.
Mamma Mia !