Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:16 pm

Livermore, CA

Re: What's Cooking (Take Three!)

by wnissen » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:38 pm

I tried making Ma Po Tofu with grated chinese sausage (lap xoung) but that wasn't successful; the bits of sausage browned too quickly, and didn't really steam, so they were a bit chewy. Maybe I should have cooked them in the microwave.

The Trader Joe's salmon burgers are very good; tried having them with King's Sweet Hawaiian rolls and found that was a bit too much with the good fishy flavor.

Hit of the week was Snake River Farms Wagyu corned beef from Costco. $8/lb., but it was incredible in flavor and tenderness. I'm getting more today. My can't-fail method is to take a bottle of stout or porter and cook in the crockpot all day on low. So tender that I had to slice it thicker so it wouldn't fall apart.
IMG_4558.JPG
IMG_4558.JPG (70.9 KiB) Viewed 158 times
Walter Nissen
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:35 pm

OH MAN, Walt. I didn't see Wagyu corned beef at Costco but did see some at a local market. I wondered, but didn't bite. Now you've got me thinking I have to go back.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:36 pm

Dinner tonight is going to be rack of lamb. I'm thinking of going with a Middle Eastern seasoned rub of cinnamon and cumin, and serving it on a rice that includes dried apricot bits and pine nuts. Bordeaux with that.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:03 pm

So I went to the store to score some of that corned beef Walt is talking about. Same producer, Snake River Farms (though I note my packages are labeled Kobe not wagyu--same difference I realize.) Also found the first fresh Alaskan halibut I've seen, and I scored a chunk of belly filet.

MENU CHANGE: ahi poke for an amuse bouche, cold asparagus salad, then broiled halibut with lemon-dill rice.

We'll have the lamb tomorrow.
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:00 am

The daughter's headed back to college tomorrow now that her spring break is over, so I made something she likes - a frittata with bacon, leeks, mushrooms, and gruyere. Went well with an Elio Grasso dolcetto.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:16 pm

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:02 am

Boy, Mike, my son is a great age now but I wouldn't mind if he enjoyed me making him a frittata like that one.

Jenise, I got some as well; seems like they are not all quite as well marbled so I had to hunt a bit. Are you seeing local asparagus yet?

Made some rice pudding this morning, very easy and tasty.
Walter Nissen
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:40 pm

An easy and umami-loaded soup that works well in cool weather or warm: Korean-style black bean soup with onions, ginger, garlic and sesame flavors.
korean-blackbean-soup.jpg
Korean-style black bean soup.
korean-blackbean-soup.jpg (89.95 KiB) Viewed 89 times

RCP: Sauté chopped onion, garlic and fresh ginger, then stir in a can of black beans and a cup of water. Heat, add a splash of soy sauce. Blend fairly smooth, but we like to leave a little texture. In the bowl, add a drizzle of sesame oil and chopped scallions and cilantro.

One caution: because canned beans are salty, you have to work hard to keep the soup from being too salty. We drain and rinse the beans, use low-sodium soy sauce, and do not add salt. Taste as you go.

Also, a little Sriracha or Korean gochujang hot sauce might be nice, but it's very good with black pepper or without any extra spice. It's a great soup.
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:17 pm

Last night's dinner was bunchi khichari--rice and mung dal with cashews, almonds, and raisins. Yamuna Devi's recipe from her cookbook "Lord Krishna's Cuisine".

-Paul W.
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:20 pm

That black bean soup sounds and looks delicious. I intend to solve the salty bean problem by cooking up dried black beans myself.

-Paul W.
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:42 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:I intend to solve the salty bean problem by cooking up dried black beans myself.

That would do th trick! :mrgreen: The nice thing about this recipe, though, is that it makes an extremely quick dish. No disagreement about the quality of doing your own dry beans, though.
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:28 pm

That soup looks beautiful, Robin. Great idea.

Walt, here's the Kobe corned beef I bought. I have to admit I didn't look for extreme marble, and after I read your comment about that I kind of went "Duh, Jenise." I should have! I just looked for a nice chunk that didn't have a thick band of fat running through the center, and that had a good overall loaf-like 8"x4" rectangular shape that will cut well in the short direction against the grain. Here's what it looks like in the package:

CornedKobe.jpg
CornedKobe.jpg (43.75 KiB) Viewed 49 times

Should be fine. But now I want ANOTHER one.

Dinner tonight: fresh patrale sole, white asparagus, not sure what else.
Previous