Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: What's Cooking (Take Three!)

by Jenise » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:41 pm

Heinz Bobek wrote:
Jenise wrote:Heinz, both dishes are absolutely incredible looking--your artistry is always so impressive but that mousse tarte is off the charts. What's the technique for getting the layers so perfect?

Thank you so much for your statement.
I'll explain the technique in my poor words, but I'm still working on it. So it will last one more day to be posted.

Thanks, will appreciate that very much.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:34 pm

Dinner tonight: veal meatloaf on roasted zucchini mash, romaine salad with raw mushrooms.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:58 pm

To beat the heat, I tried two Sichuan cold chicken preparations from Fuschia Dunlop. Each calls for half of a pre-cooked chicken. In Sichuan they poach the chicken, but I used one of those rotisserie chickens from the supermarket.

The first preparation involves boning the chicken and cutting the meat into bite-size pieces. The sauce has scallions (also cut into bite-size pieces), fresh ginger, light soy sauce, Zhenjiang vinegar, sugar, hot oil (with residue), and sesame oil.

The second preparation is a cold version of fish-fragrant chicken (yu xiang ji si). The chicken is cut into slivers and the scallions (green parts only) crosswise into thin rounds. Also in the sauce are light soy sauce, Zhenjiang vinegar, pickled chile paste (I used sambal oelek), hot oil (no residue this time) ginger, garlic, and sugar.

In both cases all you do is put the chicken in a serving dish, mix up the rest of the ingredients, and pour the sauce over the chicken.

-Paul W.
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:14 pm

Paul, that sounds SO good. I'd forgotten about Chinese "Drunken" chicken which is similar if not the same by another name. What a perfect summer meal.
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:33 pm

I've been quite busy on weeknights lately and travelling a lot on weekends, so I haven't been cooking nearly as much as I'd like. A couple of evenings ago, I knew my wife had had a rough day so I made meat loaf and mashed potatoes. (Pretty much her favorite comfort food apart from burgers at Jamie's Restaurant.) We happen to have a good supply of dried porcinis on hand, so I loaded the meat loaf up with them. Cooked it a little longer than ideal, but it still came out moist and flavorful. The next night I had a slice of meat loaf on an Acme hamburger bun with swiss cheese melted on top and Pepper Plant chipotle sauce. Last night, it was crumbled meat loaf in soft shell tacos with pickled onions and the Pepper Plant sauce. Tragically, the meat loaf is now gone and I'll have to find something else to eat tonight.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
Previous