Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's Cooking (Take Three!)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: What's Cooking (Take Three!)

by Jenise » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:10 am

I'm going to a rose tasting tomorrow at Bill Spohn's, and so today am making a mushroom pate to take along. It's a Jacques Pepin recipe--mixed cooked mushrooms with lots of shallots, garlic and onions bound with gelatin--set in a sauce. He makes four individual portions--I'm going to make one long one--with a tomatillo sauce.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:29 am

Tonight's supper was swordfish that was coated in olive oil and berbere mix and then pan fried. Served it with the Serious Eats roasted potatoes and a green bean-cherry tomato salad. Caprese to start and a blueberry custard cake with cinnamon basil ice cream to finish. Mostly, I was really happy to have cooked the swordfish properly.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:06 pm

Last night was very simple--chicken thighs coated in berbere and then grilled, with jambalaya on the side.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:10 pm

Sounds great, Paul. Berbere's a great meat rub. Pork too, but chicken's healthier!

Tonight we're going meatless--tomato caprese with black olive bread.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:30 pm

Going to a wine tasting tonight and taking a small version of the mushroom pate terrine I took to Bill's on Saturday. The mushroom pate is a Jacques Pepin recipe but turning it into a full length terrine with a leak mousse is all mine. I made lots and lots of filling because I really didn't know how many pounds of mushrooms and shallots would convert into the approximately four cups I needed for what I wanted to do, and figured the leftovers would be good thing for tonight since two of our group are vegetarian or vegan.

They may not eat it anyway because I used gelatin, not agar agar.

Anyway, it's here (be sure to scroll down to see the pretty cut side):

MushroomPateTerrine.jpg

Anyway, a lingering question I've had for some time: say you have leftover something-set-with-gelatin, like this mushroom mixture. Will it re-set if you reheat and repurpose it? I had some extra mixture that didn't fit into the small form I used for the second terrine and saved it for this experiment. Results tomorrow!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:29 pm

The gelatin does not evaporate. You can melt it but it will re-firm.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:23 pm

Jeff Grossman wrote:The gelatin does not evaporate. You can melt it but it will re-firm.

And indeed it does, with no change in texture (another concern). That's pretty cool. It means one can melt and remake a failed set (depending on other ingredients of course).
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:22 pm

Dinner tonight: Veal Parm on linguine, but made with a maitake mushroom-lemon-garlic sauce instead of the traditional red.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:13 am

Today? No idea.

Yesterday we went to a wine tasting lunch and that was essentially our main meal. We never come home hungry, but usually need to eat something in order to not wind up hungry at bedtime. So I cut an avocado in half and stuffed each half with a salad made from previously cooked white asparagus tossed with bamboo and a chile oil vinaigrette. Perfect.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:07 pm

Having a logistics meeting for next Saturday's pig roast (expecting 107 guests and it will take place at my home--yeah, we need logistics!). The meeting invite didn't include dinner but I'll be serving wine so, just in case, I'm going to grill off a trip tip and have it ready to serve sliced/cold with a rosemary-tomato-garlic vinaigrette, green salad and pickled corn.

Oh, and guess what I did yesterday--designed a large wood (3/4 plywood) 'stretcher' with long pole handles for a four-man carry. Underneath, stopper pieces outline a 6' x 2' shape. This is how our 152 pound roast pig will make a ceremonial entrance from the roaster out in the driveway to the waterside patio, where awaiting will be a rectangular Costco table that it will fit snugly on and become the carving table. It's already made. I am so proud of myself for this.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:30 am

Bravo, Jenise! I love a bit of pomp and circumstance with a big dinner.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:49 am

Jeff Grossman wrote:Bravo, Jenise! I love a bit of pomp and circumstance with a big dinner.

I do too! A kazoo chorus has been arranged for suitable noise.
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:06 pm

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:16 am

Jenise wrote:A kazoo chorus has been arranged for suitable noise.

Got ya covered, kid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iGDQYuaWsQ

8)
"He ordered as one to the Menu born...."
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:16 pm

Forget the kazoos...Chris Christie dancing??? Is this what being rejected by Trump does to a man?
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:16 pm

Jenise wrote:
Jeff Grossman wrote:Bravo, Jenise! I love a bit of pomp and circumstance with a big dinner.

I do too! A kazoo chorus has been arranged for suitable noise.

What musical selections? "Prince of Denmark's March"?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:35 pm

I don't know! I handed off the task and six kazoos to the best person for the job. We'll see!
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:13 am

Jenise wrote:Having a logistics meeting for next Saturday's pig roast (expecting 107 guests and it will take place at my home--yeah, we need logistics!). The meeting invite didn't include dinner but I'll be serving wine so, just in case, I'm going to grill off a trip tip and have it ready to serve sliced/cold with a rosemary-tomato-garlic vinaigrette, green salad and pickled corn.

Oh, and guess what I did yesterday--designed a large wood (3/4 plywood) 'stretcher' with long pole handles for a four-man carry. Underneath, stopper pieces outline a 6' x 2' shape. This is how our 152 pound roast pig will make a ceremonial entrance from the roaster out in the driveway to the waterside patio, where awaiting will be a rectangular Costco table that it will fit snugly on and become the carving table. It's already made. I am so proud of myself for this.

Wow - 152 pounds is one big pig!

Will the pig-bearers be shirtless?
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:07 am

We were angling for shirtless AND banana leaf shorts, but I don't think that will happen. :)

152 isn't that big, though. The guidance is 1.5 lbs of carcass weight for each guest. We're on track for running short, though I'm guessing that the larger the pig, the greater density of meat to bone. Hope for me that's right!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:39 pm

Fresh halibut tonight! Miso crusted, and probably with sauteed snow peas.
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:10 am

Fish and chips tonight.
Parmesan crusted tiger flathead, chipped regular spuds and purple sweet potatoes. Wedges of baby cos lettuce with that remarkable tomato dressing Jeniseposted recently, with added kaffir lime juice to meet up with the fish and the sweetness of the tomatoes I had on hand.
There will be left over fishwhich I plan to serve as fish tacos tomorrow night.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:45 am

We also had fish--a really beautiful, especially white slab of small Pacific halibut, belly cut. Topped it with a miso crust and served over a bed of stir fried chinese cabbage and onions with snow peas and a spritz of fresh lime over all. And thank god I had fish ready to go. We'd spent the afternoon splaying, trimming and cleaning Babe, the 152 pound pig, and I don't think I was up to eating pork.
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

by Barb Downunder » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:26 am

For tonight the fish “ taco “ a flour tortilla smeared with cream cheese, warmed up the leftover Parmesan crusted fish, lettuce, tomato, spring onions and the leftover tomato dressing jzooshed up with siracha to sauce it up. Not bad at all and a simple evening meal after a nice restaurant lunch.

Like Jenise was saying, we don’t eat as much these days, either. so we balance it over the day. I can’t however miss a meal as Peter has meds which need to be taken with food.

Tomorrow it will be something truffled as my annual delivery arrived yesterday, mmmmm
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:14 pm

Tonight: I tossed whole, peeled/deveined, raw shrimp with some creme fraiche, a couple handfuls of shredded parmesan, bouquet garni seasoning (not in a bag), and a dash of Old Bay, portioned into puff pasty shells and baked. Simple and good. As it is 80*F and 70% humidity here I also made a cool spinach dip to serve alongside.
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

by Barb Downunder » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:32 am

It is truffle time here and I just got my annual delivery.
We have had a difficult year, my beloved has had 8 hospital admissions and is having surgery next week. my mum had a rapid decline in short term memory and we had to get her into aged care to keep her safe.
So, tonight I made, just for Pete and me a truffle degu.
...truffled chèvre, Apple and pear paste, wrapped in filo and baked
...leek and potato soup with shaved try
...riffing on one of those strange egg tweaks, grated truffle into the egg white, reunited it with its yolk, wrapped in glad wrap and poached, served with foie gras on toast points
....gnocchi with butter, mushrooms' truffle, reggiano
Token veg kale crisps, smoked tomato wedged
It was pretty good..
PreviousNext