Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: What's Cooking (Take Three!)

by Jenise » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:50 pm

Barb Downunder wrote:https://ottolenghi.co.uk/seared-duck-breast-with-blood-orange-and-star-anise-shop

Is the recipe I used, largely. Very tasty and looked pretty as well. The Blood oranges giving the sauce
a beautiful ruby red colour.

THANK YOU! Chiles, star anise, cumin, pepper, oranges? That sounds like perfection for duck breast. Btw, I found the picture offputting. That meat's so raw the one piece has an open vein oozing blood. YUCK.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:54 pm

I'll be doing ratatouille and pad prik gai bai krapow (Thai stir-fried chicken with chiles and holy basil) this week.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:12 am

Jenise wrote:
Barb Downunder wrote:https://ottolenghi.co.uk/seared-duck-breast-with-blood-orange-and-star-anise-shop

THANK YOU! Chiles, star anise, cumin, pepper, oranges? That sounds like perfection for duck breast. Btw, I found the picture offputting. That meat's so raw the one piece has an open vein oozing blood. YUCK.

I didn’t actually look at the picture! I was busy checking out the ingredients list, it being time to get cooking. I see your point.
We hadn’t had duck available here previously so when I saw it at my local shop o grabbed some, curiously my partner went up to the shop for something the same day and picked up some precooked Peking style breasts, hence the duck extravaganza chez nous. I’ll make sure they keep it on their shelves, although they are always happy to get things in.
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:14 am

Last thing I made (a couple of nights ago) was basically a warm salad of braised shredded pork shoulder with a mix of fresh corn, poblano chilies, various spices, and cilantro. I topped it with some avocado slices and lime juice. Came out very nicely and we've been eating the leftovers ever since.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:34 pm

So last night was the dinner and a movie collab between our local independent theater and one of our town's best restaurants. This time: The Godfather. We arrived at the theater to find chef Mataio Gilles (full Sicilian Italian who took his wife's last name upon marriage) presiding over the grills in front of the theater, dressed like Don Corleone in the opening scene of the movie: black tux, red rose in his left lapel, and a stuffed cat pinned to his left arm (in the film, the Don strokes a real cat while discussing vendettas). With prosecco, they served a tiny dish of spaghetti and meatballs, a canape of beef carpaccio on thin sourdough cut in the shape of a horse's head, and another of deepfried tempura sardines.

Then we repaired to the theater to see the movie. They tape off every third row so servers can get between. During the Italian wedding of the sister, we had lasagna and wedding cookies, in a later scene where the principals were gathered around a table of Chinese take out cartons, we were served beef & broccoli. Halfway thru the film the movie was halted for intermission, during which we went back to the lobby for an Italian wedding buffet of roasted vegetables, polenta, and chicken cacciatore (which had just been featured in a scene). Then we left the tables and were handed glasses of vin santo with a slice of delicious biscotti to take back into the theater with us. After the movie? Canoli, of course.

Great time, and a great film which I haven't seen since it was first released. It sure stood up to time. It's a flawless period piece that, if it were made again today, would be THAT movie, word for word, scene for scene. It lacked nothing and deserves it's place as one of the best American movies of all time.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:44 am

Jenise wrote:So last night was the dinner and a movie collab between our local independent theater and one of our town's best restaurants. This time: The Godfather. We arrived at the theater to find chef Mataio Gilles (full Sicilian Italian who took his wife's last name upon marriage) presiding over the grills in front of the theater, dressed like Don Corleone in the opening scene of the movie: black tux, red rose in his left lapel, and a stuffed cat pinned to his left arm (in the film's opening scene, the Don thus dressed strokes a real cat while discussing vendettas). With prosecco, they served a tiny dish of spaghetti and meatballs, a canape of beef carpaccio on thin sourdough cut in the shape of a horse's head, and another of deepfried tempura sardines (as in "sleep with the fishes").

Then we repaired to the theater to see the movie. They tape off every third row so servers can get between. During the Italian wedding of the sister, we had lasagna and wedding cookies, in a later scene where the principals were gathered around a table of Chinese take out cartons, we were served a little boat of beef & broccoli. Halfway thru the film after the marriage of Michael and Appolonia, the movie was halted for an intermezzo during which we returned to the lobby for an Italian wedding buffet of roasted vegetables, polenta, and chicken cacciatore (which had just been featured in a scene). Then we left the tables and were handed glasses of vin santo with a slice of delicious biscotti to take back into the theater with us. After the movie? Canoli, of course.

Great time, and a great film which I haven't seen since it was first released. It sure stood up to time. It's a flawless period piece that, if it were made again today, would be THAT movie, word for word, scene for scene. It lacked nothing and deserves it's place as one of the best American movies of all time.

Jenise that sounds great! It has given me pause for thoughts. We could maybe do this on a smaller scale at our hall for a fund raiser. A bit different, we could do it for a premium price (in ,local, terms)
There would be other movies one could consider. If any thoughts come to mind please share.

I love it.
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:09 pm

Barb, it's a blast. Mataio and his wife are real film buffs, so doing these movie-dinner nights is just about the most fun he can possibly have as a chef. In fact, he said, when he pitched this series to the theater owners back when, The Godfather was his first choice but everyone else said, "Maybe we should work our way up to that." This is maybe the 20th he's done: off the top of my head others have included Mostly Martha, Tortilla Soup, Eat Drink Man Woman and Chef. Coming up next is Gosford Park.
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:20 pm

Tonight's dinner will be the latest recipe posted at the Mala Project website: stir-fried beef with Pixian dobanjiang.

-Paul W.
Previous